PDA

View Full Version : Updating-need Advice

94bluehd
03-20-2009, 22:44
Y'all....I have never found a better website for assistance with my vehicle. I have been an avid DP watcher for years. I usually don't have to comment or post b/c you all ask all of the Qs I have and the pros answer the ones I haven't thought of.

I have a 94 HD HO vin F, 141,000miles. Here's where I'm at and would like comments suggestions:

done: full 4" exhaust, gauges, tubomaster, removed vac assembly etc., 93 belt. Amsoil Dual oil bypass, remote pmd/fsd cooler, OPS is routed through a cylenoid to reduce pull from OPS from volts to milivolts with indicator light in the cab to show circuit to lift pump. Airbox mods.

I talked with JK years ago and bought the coolant upgrades, and a phaser set. I held off on installing them because I still qualified for the 120k/11y warranty on the injection system. By the time that expired, I had it running so well, I haven't wanted to touch it.

I have watched the full debates on the timing gear set vs. the chain set-up and still don't know what to believe. I now have a brand new chain/gear kit and a phaser kit and don't know which to do????????

From May-Dec I pull alot of mountain road with a 20' gooseneck with 4-6 horses/mules in the mountains of MT. In the last year my mileage was as high as 22 (No kidding/not towing) and low of 11.4. AVG is high 15s. I have kept EVERY fill-up documented and the type of driving during that time so this is not made up....I know I had had to check the 22 result several times but it was during a time on I-90 not towing, few hills.

I use the throttle and like to hear the turbo with the open exhaust but I do not "dump the clutch" or anything like that. I use the truck and would love a DMax but I know so much about this truck/engine now why get rid of it? I can work on it!

Not wanting to start a huge debate that has already been argued but....the answers are spread across numerous posts. Please reply.

Parts ready to install:
I have the 97+ water pump and tstat set up, phaser set and new chain set (which one to install?), 9 blade fan, new 97+ fan clutch.

Should I also look at the harmonic bal. to replace as well. How about radiator service work?

If you read this far, please comment on the clutch as well. IN the last 18 mos, there is 3-4 times where it slips and acts like it is "spinning out" when I accellerate in OD (manual trans). At that point I start to think, "I figured the clutch should go out soon." and then the next time I use it, the clutch won't slip a bit?? What's up with that. I have a clutch kit ordered to have on hand when the day comes. Obviously a DM fly. Should I stock one of those as well?(expensive) or consider SM?????? Also, if I do address the clutch, do I address a rear main even if it is not leaking?

I have 100s of hours staring at this site, I hope I can get some minutes out of this>

Thank you all.

DennisG01
03-21-2009, 06:36
Parts ready to install:
I have the 97+ water pump and tstat set up, phaser set and new chain set (which one to install?), 9 blade fan, new 97+ fan clutch.

Should I also look at the harmonic bal. to replace as well. How about radiator service work?

I'd vote for the gear set. When my engine was rebuilt, I discussed that with the buillder and JK. I felt there were really no downsides - other than the higher initial cost. Seeing as you mentioned you have both, that's a mute point.

If you're balancer looks like it's been replaced recently, than there'd really be no reason to. If it's showing it's age - cracking rubber, rusty, etc. - then absolutely - plus, there not that expensive.

Is your radiator leaking? If not, just clean it really good. If you'll be taking it out, you can flush it real good - inside and out. "Scrubbing Bubbles" works well.

redbird2
03-21-2009, 07:17
MY vote is for the gear set I know the only down side is the cost, the biggest plus side is the positive timing it allows you the gear will not stretch like the chains and affect the timing. I noticed a fast start a little crisper response (now that could be me try to tell myself it was worth the money) I also pull a 20' goose neck all the time with livestock or equipment on it.

now as for your clutch I had a 94 c3500 service truck with dual mass flywheel changed it first time a 80K slipping ( was over loaded daily ) at 140K the bearing in the flywheel failed and locked up the clutch put in the Single Mass and the dampened rear yoke on trans as GM recommends. ran the truck to 285K before broke the frame in front of the right spring hanger I think maybe the over loading might have effected that LOL I normal was around 13K GVW clutch was still working good never slipped once with the SM style.

as for the water pump t-stat and fan install them if your putting in the gear set. and make sure to clean out real good between the rad and the condenser as Dennis stated if you see any cracks or signs of deterioration replace that balancer also check the dampened crank pulley for the belt they are pron to failing as well you have it out check it really well

good luck I hope my 2cents help

94bluehd
03-21-2009, 09:45
Thank you guys!

How about the fluidampr? Is that something I should consider. Seems expensive.

DennisG01
03-21-2009, 11:06
I *almost* put one on my engine when it was rebuilt. Part of the reason was the cost. But the main reason was it was relatively new (not new to the market, but to the 6.5) and my engine builder was reluctant to put his warranty on a product that he he wasn't absolutely 100% sure of. I still almost did it, knowing I would forego his warranty.

94bluehd
03-22-2009, 17:28
Has anyone run teh phaser gear system with the fluidampr? What is the pros/cons.