PDA

View Full Version : Noise Insulation???

Kmehr
03-22-2009, 16:03
Anyone used dynomat or any noise insulation to quiet their rig down? Quiet ride solutions has a pre cut kit for $416, but you have to remove the carpet and stuff, looks like a major pain....

I just upgraded to a 4in SSdiesel turbo back exhaust kit from stock pipe with the cat and muffler cut out. I wanted it to be quieter, especially on longer trips cause the drone really gets to me. It was much cheaper than heath or kennedy's kit (over a hundred) but i am now wishing i might have gone iwht those cause its still loud as hell.

I am going to wiggle it around some more and look to see if the exhaust shop that hung it put the muffler on backwards (would this make a noticable difference?) anywhere i can get a 4 in muffler that will quiet things down noticably and not have to get a new kit?

suburbanK-2500HD
03-23-2009, 07:36
hi

i used a muffler that was about 70cm long, and the sound isnt too bad, but when towing it gets a little deeper sound.
Be shure to have the exhaust tip outside the body, so the sound dont bounce around under the body.
insulation would help i guess.

:)

ak46champ
03-23-2009, 07:52
I installed the Hush Mat a few years back in the Suburban. It did make a noticable difference. I was only able to put it on the interior firewall, floor and side walls. I did not do the doors yet. On my K3500 I have only been able to put it on the firewall in the engine compartment. I plan on doing the rest of the interior later on. As a note I did the fire wall with the engine out when I was replacing the engine. That made a HUGE difference in noise level. It is very quiet now in the interior. I cant wait to finish the rest of the interior. If you plan on keeping the truck it is well worth the money and effort, expecially if you spend a lot of time driving.

DennisG01
03-23-2009, 08:10
I am going to wiggle it around some more and look to see if the exhaust shop that hung it put the muffler on backwards (would this make a noticable difference?)

If it's a straight thru/flow thru muffler, then yes, usually it makes a difference. You'll have to look/feel for the way the little "fins" inside the muffler are oriented - kind of like a cheese grater or shark skin. Run your hand along it one way and it's relatively smooth (quieter) - run your hand over it the other way and it's rougher (louder).

Kmehr
03-23-2009, 09:26
if the muffler is going the right way then i think i am either going to insulate it or get a hushpower muffler, they are like $200 which is a lot, anyone have any experience with these?