PDA

View Full Version : Block heater

gasit16
03-24-2009, 19:15
I know this is a stupid question but my block heater is leaking can i eliminate it if so can i use a frezze plug. It is a 96 6.5 chevy. I live in south Fl, it never gets cold.

DmaxMaverick
03-24-2009, 21:14
Not at all a stupid question....A very good one, actually.

If you don't need or use the block heater, it is in no way required. You can use a standard freeze plug. Another option in a pinch is the rubber expansion plugs, but ONLY for temporary use (they WILL fail, sooner or later).

If/when you sell it, don't forget to tell the new owner it doesn't have one.

On the other hand, the heaters aren't expensive, and much easier to install than freeze plugs (especially in-frame). You don't have to install the power cord if you don't use it (stick it in the glove box). Even if it doesn't get cold enough to need it, it is very handy (and a money saver) for diagnosing starting problems.

john8662
03-24-2009, 23:13
More often than not, it's JUST the 0-Ring on the heater that's leaking. Just remove the heater (take a bath in coolant) and find a new snug o-ring at the parts store (doesn't have to be special), re-bend the anchor for install, re-install and forget it.

But yes, a new freeze plug will work too, might be a problem for the next guy tho. You'll need an 1 5/8" Plug.

J

rhsub
03-24-2009, 23:45
Block heaters are cheap, I reused 1 once, by the time I paid the tow bill, and 12 litres of anti-freeze and did the job twice,:eek::eek: not worth reusing old block heater, they are usually only worth 20 bucks, not a wise place to cheap out
good luck
ron

jerry598
07-30-2009, 09:10
What is the best block heater brand to install? And where are they available?

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2009, 09:17
I don't know which brand is better than any other. The heaters Napa sells have been as reliable as any.

jasondmann
07-30-2009, 15:29
Like the others have said, you cannot get a driver for a freeze plug in place with the engine in chassis. But if you make funny faces you can do the block heater pretty easy.

a5150nut
07-30-2009, 18:48
Like the others have said, you cannot get a driver for a freeze plug in place with the engine in chassis. But if you make funny faces you can do the block heater pretty easy.

And don't leave out the colorful language! :rolleyes::rolleyes: