PDA

View Full Version : Found way to solve losing prime if truck sits

cowboyup12285
03-26-2009, 11:47
I ran into a guy with a 6.5 near my town yesterday i seen he had a 6.5 and i asked him if his truck was ever tough to start if it sat a few days reguardless of outside temp he said yes i explained my truck was doing that to me.He advised me to put a toggle switch directly to my fuel pump so when i turned the ingnition on the pump would kick on and pump fuel up keep the switch on till after the glow plug light goes off and the truck is started thenafter it runs for a minute u can turn the switch off. Its kinda a jerry rigged way but it works i put it on my truck this morning and it fired right up he said just make sure u turn it over once it has started and ran for a minute to let the motor naturally pull the fuel it needs rather than pump a constant flow of un-needed fuel hopefully this helps someone else also i know it helped me.

-Hoss

DennisG01
03-26-2009, 14:19
I'm curious if this is different and/or better than using that red wire under the hood - the one by the fuse box? I haven't had a need - yet - but it's nice to know stuff in advance.

Robyn
03-26-2009, 14:45
If you use a momentary switch (push button) you can then use it and then not worry about leaving it on.

You can't however over prime the IP by leaving the lift pump on.

The issue here is not that the mickey mouse rewire will make things work better but instead the focus should be to find and fix the cause of the drainback.

There is likely a leak in the primary feed to the IP/filter or the IP itself that is allowing the drainback.

Some model years will allow the lift pump to be run simply by placing the shifter in D and then turning the key to start for a few seconds.

The 1995 models will allow this trick.

Good luck

Robyn