PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter differences

Lightyear
03-27-2009, 05:31
Here's my ignorant question of the day: what does the anti-drain back valve in an oil filter do? I was looking at AC-Delco on line and noticed two types of filters for the future 'Burb. They range from ten dollars w/o to twenty five dollars w/the valve. Somebody school me.

Thanks!

DennisG01
03-27-2009, 06:26
If a filter is mounted upside down or sideways, it's there to keep the oil from draining out once the engine is off. Without the valve, it would take longer for oil to reach the engine on start-up.

Just a personal opinion, but there are better filters out there. I bought a case of Wix from John Kennedy - he's one of this site's supporting vendors - and extremely knowledgeable about the 6.5.

Beware! If you're not careful you can take a nice oil bath when changing the filter. If you get the Sub, let us know - we can give you a few tips. Also about moving the filter to a more accessible place.

Lightyear
03-27-2009, 06:39
I will keep you advised. I remember the first time I changed oil & filter on my old 'Burb, te Mighty Mo. I looked like I had rolled in a tar pit. My solution was to crack it loose with a filter wrench, then knock a hole in the bottom to let it drain. But I'm sure there's a better way...

DennisG01
03-27-2009, 08:34
Well, I used to hold a plastic bag around the filter. So, no, aside from moving the filter, popping a hole in it is just as good!

Wing Nut OOA
03-27-2009, 08:40
I love the WIX brand. i bought a cheap filter to run a couple tanks of fuel on, after the re-assembly, then i'm going to change the oil in a couple days and put a WIX on.

so, about moving that filter...

w6bauer
04-05-2009, 20:30
Beware! If you're not careful you can take a nice oil bath when changing the filter. If you get the Sub, let us know - we can give you a few tips. Also about moving the filter to a more accessible place.[/quote]

I wouldnt mind the tips for the sub.
I always have fun removing the filter on my burb. No matter how much oil I put on the o-ring before installing the new filter I always have a brutal battle getting the filter off after 3000. Not really much room to navigate a filter wrench up there with the horizontal filter and front drive shaft in the way. i am saving up for the dual bypass setup which I know will allow a much easier change but until then it would be nice to know if there is something that Im not doing that would make it easier.

Thanks alot
Wilber

DennisG01
04-06-2009, 05:38
How hard are you tightening the new one? 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after the seal just barley makes contact is all you need. Rubber strap wrenches can work, but a metal one usually bites better.

After "cracking it free" to a point where I can move it by hand, I used to slide a plastic grocery bag over the filter (be sure you get one without a small hole in it!) and hold it in place with one hand, while spinning the filter (grab the filter by squeezing the bag between your hand and filter - meaning your hand is on the outside of the bag and the bag is around the filter) with the other. After the filter comes off and is inside the bag, keep the holding the bag up there for a moment in case there's any residual oil in the filter mount that wants to drip out.

As mentioned above, popping a hole near the bottom of the filter with a punch/screwdriver and hammer can work as well. Depending on where you're popping the hole, have your oil pan already positioned to catch the stream of oil coming out. Best thing is try to pop the hole directly underneath the filter so the stream goes straight down.

I also used to take some aluminum foil and form it over the driveshaft - it's easier to clean up the foil than to spend the time wiping down the U-joint.

Wing Nut OOA
04-06-2009, 09:46
still no info on moving the filter.

wheres this mod at?

DennisG01
04-06-2009, 10:40
still no info on moving the filter.

wheres this mod at?

This was the original thread that got me going, although certainly not to say that I had the original idea as it's been talked about more than a few times over the years. I'll try to remember to get a parts list together of what I did. I'll make a separate post. In the meantime, you can probably find a bunch of good threads to read with the search function. Probably won't even need me to do another thread, but I'll still do it.