PDA

View Full Version : Clock changed on it's own!

DickWells
03-27-2009, 15:22
My clock read correctly all day, yesterday, while towing up from Marfa, TX, through Ft. Smith to I10, (a beautiful ride!), then up around through the Guadaloupe's to El Paso and to Las Cruses. Got up this morning, and the clock read 1:30 AM! Everything else works just fine, and no batteries were dis-connected, etc. We did cross into the Mountain time zone, just outside El Paso. Anyone have any idea what happened?:confused:
Dick Wells

Mark Rinker
03-27-2009, 15:56
Its Obama. He's stealing our time, now. ;)

My guess is you have a battery with a bad cell - if it were me, I'd have both batteries load tested to see...

DickWells
03-27-2009, 19:42
Hmmm. Well, they're quite recent replacements, and should be good, but that gives me an idea. I ALWAYS replace the terminal bolts with tripple nutted 3/8-16 SS. Trouble is, every once in a while, I have to excercise the threads and re-tighten them. I get better contact with that system, but they do tend to loosen up more easilly. I'll check them out, and if I get a flaky clock again, have them tested as you suggest. The thing whips over like crazy, though. Would a bad cell show the electronics low voltage and still provide enough oomph to run the glow and start circuits that well?

Wait a minute!!!!!! Just remembered! Jean blew that silly left hand lighter mini fuse (15 Amp) the other day, when she plugged in a 300 Watt inverter to charge the lap-top. I finally thought to change it yesterday. Had forgotten it's location, so pulled about 5 fuses while I was trying to find the blown one. Didn't bother looking at the back of the cover. Bet that's what happened to the clock! Sorry about all this nonsense, Mark/ Y'all. :o
Thanks, and take care.
Dick:)

Mark Rinker
03-27-2009, 20:02
I have been blowing fuses lately on that same circuit, when I have the inverter, cell phone charger, and amber strobe all going at the same time.

Another mystery is my inverter will blink out, beeping like there is some kind of voltage drop/spike whenever I roll down the windows, while the laptop is charging...

Weird...glad your batteries aren't on the fritz...

DickWells
03-28-2009, 08:12
I don't know why GM chose to use a 15 amp mini fuse on a lighter circuit! I blew my first one there when I first got the Sierra, by trying to run my little 12 V air pump. Couldn't do it on that one! The one on the right is, what, 30 A? I've never dared to put in a heavier fuse, thinking they (GM) must be protecting something else in that circuit.
Love the data you provided in the access Forum. Thanks.
Dick Wells:)

JohnC
03-28-2009, 09:55
Fuses protect wiring, not accessories. If it's fused for 15 amps the wiring probably isn't up to much more.