PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Flow Lift Pump?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-28-2009, 16:46
I found an inline fuel pump today that looks almost identical to the stuck lift pump. Same size and inlets. Two wires going to it. It's rated for 5.9-9 psi flow rate. Thinking of buying it and swapping it in. They are surplus on sale for $13. Wondering if that will help at all with fuel delivery to the IP or would the difference be negligible?

Artworks
03-28-2009, 17:53
$13, you can't loose. You can always use it as a transfer pump. Where ?, It is 12 V not 24V? I 'll take one!

Burning Oil
03-28-2009, 19:07
Whats the stock 93 LP PSI rated at?
Buy them all and sell them for $30.

DmaxMaverick
03-28-2009, 20:14
Whats the stock 93 LP PSI rated at?....

5.9-9 PSI.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-28-2009, 23:16
Artworks- Princess Auto special. Love that place eh? Sometimes they get sweet stuff in.

DMax- I thought that the LP was rated for 3-5 psi?

Probably going to grab a few anyway

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2009, 00:21
The OEM pumps don't really have a "rating". GM specs the pump as acceptable if it produces 4 PSI with the engine idling. They vary between 4 and 12. Much depends on the environment, fuel viscosity, and pump quality. In reality, no "pressure" is required. As long as the LP provides fuel flow to the pump, and doesn't allow the pressure to drop to negative, any more is waste. More pressure doesn't help. Too much pressure can actually cause poor running, and in the extreme, damage the IP.

I wouldn't call a pump "rated" at X PSI unless it also states a flow rate. A pump may be able to produce a million PSI static, but next to none at the slightest flow. They have to be vehicle/system specific to claim a pressure rating. The 6.5L fuel system is a very high flow system, compared to many. A pump rated for 10 PSI on a gasser system will be pretty worthless on a 6.5L Diesel. The EFI gasser pumps keep up, but they don't run at their rated pressure on a Diesel. But, they usually give up long before the pumps designed for #2. The fuel viscosity plays a big part of the picture. The pump may not be able to develop sufficient pressure/flow in operation, or it might. You'll have to test them and let us know.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-29-2009, 09:53
Yea, I have been wondering about volume. Like I said, they are cheap, so I'll grab a few. I guess the best idea would be to prime the pump and see how fast it moves a liter of diesel

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2009, 10:31
Not at all saying it won't work.

Measuring flow OR pressure is easy. Unless you can measure flow at a given pressure, you still don't know what the pump is capable of. Then there's the full capacity range, which is best plotted on a graph, and it must indicate the medium (fuel) used, temperature, viscosity, etc. Having this graph will essentially indicate the quality and consistency of the pump.

But, cheap is cheap, and it only has to work. At that price, I'd probably buy a dozen, and use them anywhere I could plug them in.

One other point....
What type of pump are they? What are the contamination possibilities when they fail? Are they going to dump a bunch of lethal crap into your fuel system? It would probably be wise to install a downstream filter, at most capable of 25 microns or so. Kinda' reminds me of a cartoon drawing I saw years ago. A cowboy in a rodeo, running down a steer, with the brim of his hat folded over his face. The caption read, "$10,000 horse, $1,000 saddle, beat by a $2 hat." Many times, a bargain isn't a bargain.....

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-29-2009, 13:50
Post above this one
ROFLOL
Went back today to get them. Stupid stupid me. They are gone at the sale price. But I can get the same ones for the price of $50 now. :mad: I knew I shoulda grabbed a few. Decided to consult TDP first, lol. Oh well, I'll wait a little. They should come back on again.

arveetek
03-29-2009, 13:52
Post above this one
ROFLOL
Went back today to get them. Stupid stupid me. They are gone at the sale price. But I can get the same ones for the price of $50 now. :mad: I knew I shoulda grabbed a few. Decided to consult TDP first, lol. Oh well, I'll wait a little. They should come back on again.

Still a good price. The OEM versions are around $90.

I'm sorry you didn't grab a $13 unit. I woulda paid you some extra to sell me one!! :D

Casey

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2009, 13:53
Too bad. Coulda' been a windfall. Or maybe a blessing in disguise.