PDA

View Full Version : Air Mods

94bluehd
03-28-2009, 22:21
What is the best air filter so far? AE, KN, OEM or one of the mods with the tubular filter. I drive/tow the logging roads of MT and get alot of particulate.

JohnC
03-29-2009, 09:34
What is the best air filter so far? .... I drive/tow the logging roads of MT and get alot of particulate.

I'd pick up an airbox from a later model truck that uses the cylindrical filter and stick with the OEM cartridge. I'm not sure what year the cut off was, something like 1998...

The flat filters are problematic to install correctly and can allow unfiltered air to leak around the edges. Stay away from the K&N especially in a dusty environment. If you can see through it the dirt can pass through too.

DennisG01
03-30-2009, 06:44
What kind of truck do you have - year, other mods, etc. Please put this in your signature.

I agree with John. The stock, round filter (I believe it started in '97) is actually quite good at both filtering and allowing sufficient air through.

94bluehd
03-30-2009, 08:39
Thank you everyone. I see those later boxes had the air from the fender well/snorkel as well. If I get a used box for a later model with the cylindrical filter, do you suggest any other mods to the box? i.e. open up with a hole saw or something? On my current setup, I covered my modifications with the foam layer from the stock filters. I have noticed that some dust does get by the earlier setup.

DennisG01
03-30-2009, 08:48
You can remove the snorkel that's inside the fender. That's about it.

94bluehd
04-25-2009, 21:40
I got a 98 box and new filter for it. Seems to be a tight fit in the box and had to modify the box to get it to line up with the intake hole in the fender.

Kennedy
04-26-2009, 18:26
I've always preferred the Uni oiled foam filter for it's filtering capabilities.