PDA

View Full Version : #@$%&$* fuel filter

motown
03-31-2009, 18:56
is there trick to changing the fuel filter seems pretty easy unscrew the cap remove old filter replace with new one screw cap back on the rubber seal on the filter seemed fine i got as tight as i could by hand and it still leaked so i put an oil filter wrench on it and turned it about a 1/4 turn still leaks i'm scared to tighten it anymore i dont want to break it :confused:

balloonbld
03-31-2009, 19:17
When you put the new filter in did you rub a little diesel around on the rubber gasket? Also pull the filter back out and check that the rubber gasket is still seated in the filter. Also is the pressure relief tight in the middle of the filter? If it is loose it will leak diesel.
Joe

Hubert
04-01-2009, 04:08
Spend a little time and read several posts on it here. There are a couple really good tips and its been covered several times. Yeah, the owners manual says you can pull out and drop in but better shop practices are recommended.

Sealing leaks usually are due to either the old seal staying on or the new one coming off. The seal is delicate and has a thin metal support band/ring or washer thingy on the inside sometimes this stays on or comes off too (could have fell off or never there). If you don't clock it right and drop it in smoothly the seal can be knocked out of wack. Hate to say it but if you pinch or disturb the gasket and get a leak its easier for me to scrap the filter and try again.

JohnC
04-01-2009, 08:39
And, the filter only fits (right) one way...

Hand tighten only!

DickWells
04-01-2009, 13:47
As well as that large diameter seal under the cap, which has just been well covered, don't forget to check if that little white plastic ring/seal/screen? around the bottom (I think?). I had one stay in there once, and it caused me all sorts of heartache before I found it. The new filter won't fit worth hoot, when there are extra parts in there.
It's been a while, so I can't be all that specific with my comments.
Good luck.
Dick Wells:)

motown
04-01-2009, 16:12
i will get a new filter tomorrow and check for extra parts

motown
04-22-2009, 17:51
found it there was a little ring around the houseing thats all it was i guess it's off an old filter