PDA

View Full Version : Heater/AC Fan R&R

CareyWeber
04-13-2005, 13:18
My heater / AC fan/blower lost all speeds except high. I replaced the fan switch, but still only the high speed work.

Who has any advice on how to remove it and install the new one?

How does that rubber cover over the fan comes off?

Carey

jeffrey b
04-13-2005, 14:35
I would suggest you try the fan speed resistor which was mounted behing the glove box in my 95 Chevy. It is a piece located in the housing for the heater and has a plug hooked to it. My truck had a bad one and only high speed, which by-passes the resistor.

Jeff

CareyWeber
04-13-2005, 16:35
Originally posted by jeffrey b:
I would suggest you try the fan speed resistor which was mounted behing the glove box in my 95 Chevy. It is a piece located in the housing for the heater and has a plug hooked to it. My truck had a bad one and only high speed, which by-passes the resistor.

Jeff Jeff,

Thanks I found it I'll see if I can get one tomorrow.

Carey

JohnC
04-14-2005, 06:00
I think the lower speeds use a different fuse from the high speed. But, you already checked that, right? ;)

fastcat800
04-14-2005, 07:23
It's the resistor, if it was the fan motor it would not run at all. There is only one fuse for the fan. I had the same problem with mine. The resistor is different for the non AC trucks. I bought the wrong one the first time as I thought I had facory air but the truck did not come with AC orginally. It was added later so mine uses the non AC resistor even though it has AC.

JohnC
04-14-2005, 09:15
Originally posted by Dave Schumacher:
.... There is only one fuse for the fan. OK, we're both right. You may be right about the '94 and earlier trucks, but my '95 has one 25 amp fuse in the panel on the side of the dash and a second 50 amp fuse in the under hood fuse block. The 50 controls only the high speed. The 25 controls the rest, and also the high speed relay, so, if it blows all speeds are affected. If the 50 blows only high is affected. Of course, if you can blow a 50 amp fuse there's probably something more important going on...

CareyWeber
04-14-2005, 13:10
Originally posted by JohnC:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dave Schumacher:
.... There is only one fuse for the fan. OK, we're both right. You may be right about the '94 and earlier trucks, but my '95 has one 25 amp fuse in the panel on the side of the dash and a second 50 amp fuse in the under hood fuse block. The 50 controls only the high speed. The 25 controls the rest, and also the high speed relay, so, if it blows all speeds are affected. If the 50 blows only high is affected. Of course, if you can blow a 50 amp fuse there's probably something more important going on... </font>[/QUOTE]Well I'd have had to eat crow if a fuse had been blown, but none were. I do have the 25 and the 50 amp fuses (1997).

I hope to have a resistor tomorrow.

Carey

fastcat800
04-14-2005, 13:51
I am most likely wrong, I didn't know there could be two. I have never looked under the hood for fuses for the heater fan. Mopars don't have two. This is my first Chevy. I will have to check.

CareyWeber
04-16-2005, 13:32
Well I replace the resistor today and now I have all my fan speeds again.

The new resistor has more coil on one of the wires.

resistor part # 15039098

switch part # 16192099

Carey