PDA

View Full Version : A.R.E truck shell's what is a good one

dlane
04-02-2009, 14:30
Hi everyone
I'm needing to find a 'good' shell for my truck. I bought a A.R.E. shell in 03 dealer said it had a lifetime structural warranty and in 06 it started cracking at the lower front corners. They replaced it with the same one. Now the replacement is cracking at the same places. they won't replace it again and it's only 3 years old so they don't stand by there warranties. Seems they make a bunch of junk there or need to hire some real engineers that can design a descent shell that lasts. So heads up on A.R.E tops they make junk.:mad:!!!. my truck is a street only truck 3500 ram 2wd srw. Any one know of a good shell for my ram 3500 quad cab 2wd sb srw. thanks.

NutNbutGMC
04-02-2009, 17:25
Thank you for the feedback. I have read of similar circumstances on other forums, about the A.R.E. product.

In addition, I can attest to a good Lear product for years. No problems ever since my first one in 1980 so I don't know how their warranty stands up.... :D

I will recommend the dual latch (one on each side in lieu of a single center latch) on the rear window, frameless windows all around, and a fold-in front window.

tufcj
04-06-2009, 09:50
I've got a Glasstite on my 2003. Bought it right after I got the truck (Jan 03) and have had no problems or complaints. Mine is the "raven" model.

www.glasstite.com

Bob
tufcj

trbankii
04-06-2009, 11:47
I put a Leer cap on my Toyota in '93. Only problem with it has been that the trim piece around the bottom cracked at each back corner and then stuck out. I just cut it off so it wouldn't poke anyone (got myself a couple times), filled in with some JB Weld, and painted it to match. The rest of it is solid.

I'm not sure what the cap is that is on my Chevy. Picked it up off CL for $150. It is solid, but the surface has really faded and is rough. Again, no idea how old it is either, but the surface on the one on the Toyota is still glossy smooth.

Roy W
04-06-2009, 17:29
I have a A.R.E. Z Series topper that has been on two different trucks and is 10 years old. No cracks anywhere. Have replaced the gas struts twice.

Dawg
04-11-2009, 10:51
My A.R.E. 'Z' series has been on since 2002. On/off road use no problems. My buddy just bought his third 'Z' series (3 differnet trucks) with no problems.

tbrowne
04-25-2009, 21:34
I had a "Z" series from A.R.E. on an 02 Sierra. The bond let go where the fiberglass attaches to the aluminum base. A.R.E. would not stand behind the warranty even though I was the original owner and the truck cap was registered with them. I'd check elsewhere if I were you!

The A.R.E. has a limited lifetime warranty and limited is the key word.