PDA

View Full Version : Draining fuel from 96 6.5 TD? (gas in fuel)

cheshire
04-03-2009, 06:22
Yesterday was one of those days for me. I was fueling up my truck at the end of the day and noticed what a good deal the fuel was. Then I noticed that I was pumping gas instead of diesel. I had about 5 gal. pumped when I noticed. I thought I could get away with topping off with diesel so I pumped another 15 gals. of diesel into the tank. The truck holds somewhere between 22 and 24 gallons I believe. I made a few calls to get advice on whether I should drive home but couldn't get any answers. I even had my wife google for answers. I then decided to drive 2 miles to the closest parts store that was open - Auto Zone (no advice there either) and bought a small container of Lucas injector cleaner and lubricant. I put that in the tank and drove about 6 miles back home. I never got over 45mph. The truck cranked up after parking.

My plan now is to drain the tank, drain the water/fuel seperator and replace the filter. Do I need to drain anything else? Should I use some type of additive once I get it running again? I've worked on the fuel system on my old 6.2 Blazer but am new to the 6.5 TD.

Thanks,
Rob
1996 Chevy Silverado 3500
6.5 turbo diesel
105,000 miles

Robyn
04-03-2009, 06:44
Welcome to TDP :D

Dump about 3 quarts of good motor oil in the tank, slosh well and it should be fine.

Or just siphon out the bulk of the contents and refill with fresh diesel and add a quart of motor oil for extra lube.
The filter should be fine though.

Best

Robyn

john8662
04-03-2009, 06:58
You did well with the additive, a bottle of two-cycle oil would do the trick, as it's actually meant to be burned without the ash. I would disregard the advice above for 3 whole quarts of motor oil in your fuel.

I vote for leaving it in and driving it, at 5 or less gallons in say 24 gal. Diesel.

You may change your filter after you go through the tank, but not completly necessary.

J

cheshire
04-05-2009, 21:03
Thanks both for your advice. I decided to compromise and siphon half the tank. I have a friend who makes biodiesel who gladly took the 14 gallons i siphoned to use in his commercial fishing boat. I filled with fresh diesel and added another small container of Lucas injector cleaner and lube. I'm up to 150 miles with no apparent damage. I told my kids that I sure hope this works because our dilapidated truck camper will look pretty silly on my 1991 Honda Civic hatchback cruising aroung the southern outerbanks.
Thanks,
Rob