PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hub Seal

gophergunner
04-03-2009, 15:57
So today I noticed some oil leaking around the rear passenger side hub. Its not coming from the brake caliper so I'm assuming its the wheel hub seal thats leaking a bit.

I'm curious if anyone has dealt with them before? Are these rear ends similar to most older full floating axles? As in, the hub rides on 2 bearings with 1 seal at the back of it? Usually easy to work on....

Just curious before I start ripping things apart. Just for the record, its a 2006 Sierra 2500 with a Duramax.

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
04-03-2009, 19:10
It's essentially the same as other FF's. If you've been there before, you'll find no significant surprises. If it has rear disc brakes, you have an addition of the E-brake shoes. Nothing difficult or complicated, though.

gophergunner
04-04-2009, 15:48
Sounds good.

Thanks!!!

gophergunner
04-06-2009, 15:30
Well now that was fun. Who knew someone would make a hub seal that wrecks itself every time you want to remove the hub.

What was wrong with the simple old style seals? They seemed to work just fine as I recall, they were cheaper, and they were easier to use. This hub seal wasn't so much fun.

But its on there now. Of course my park brakes on the one side were soaked in oil. Spindle nuts on both sides of the truck needed tightening anyways.

ahhhhh, a job well done....

carco
04-06-2009, 15:59
Yea, most trucks 3/4 and up to road tractors we deal with have one time use rear seals. Pull hubs off need new seals.

gophergunner
04-06-2009, 20:45
Yea, most trucks 3/4 and up to road tractors we deal with have one time use rear seals. Pull hubs off need new seals.

On the older 14 bolt FF axle I've successfully pulled hubs off and put them back on with the same seal. That was an older axle that required the whole hub to be pulled off to get at the brakes.

It was a different style seal than whats on the 11.5" axle though.

Oh well, now I know how its done....also glad the truck gave me some good warning before anything serious happened on the road somewhere.