PDA

View Full Version : off brand towing

carco
04-04-2009, 07:19
Saw a Toy Tundra towing what looked to be a 34' fifth wheel around I-275 Cincinnati. Only moveing about 50 up hill. Might have been a maiden pull or maybe maxed out but not moveing fast.
Any one know what the ratings are for the Tundra??
Not that I want one, but I thought this was an overloaded truck, singel rear tires, and a small gas engine that has been pulling head bolt threads out of the block! I have seen the frame design and the aftermarket has to be unhappy with haveing to design something all-together different for hitches.
Mostly curious as to what the ratings are, if anyone has any experience with the Tundra.

MacDR50
04-05-2009, 11:34
According to the towing guide, if it has a 5.7 l engine it can tow from 10,100 to 10,800 depending on cab type and 2x4 vs 4x4.

carco
04-05-2009, 17:24
Wow, I am surprised it's rated that much. I've seen the under side while laying on it's side, not overly impressive.

Edahall
04-06-2009, 11:31
The 5.7L Tundra has more power (horsepower) than even the newest LMM Duramax. The Tundra engine puts out 381 HP vs. the 365 HP on the LMM Duramax.

JohnC
04-06-2009, 11:52
The 5.7L Tundra has more power (horsepower) than even the newest LMM Duramax. The Tundra engine puts out 381 HP vs. the 365 HP on the LMM Duramax.

Yeah, but the Duramax has 60% more torque...

christophersond
04-06-2009, 12:18
A friend of mine bought a new Tundra, and the engine had to be replaced with less than 4K miles on it. When he told me the MSRP on the Tundra, I thought he was kidding me until I checked it myself. The MSRP is nearly the same as for a new Duramax powered Sierra or Silverado. I'll take my LMM powered GMC Sierra any day of the week--it has the torque to go with the HP.

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2009, 13:07
How soon we forget the BASICS. A tow vehicle is a package. What's under the hood (or on the spec sheet, which is only a number) is only a VERY small part of it. 381 HP is impressive, but what does that engine have to do to provide it? Where's the torque range? Most of the gassers, and especially the imports, get their rated HP near the redline. Big numbers make great selling points, as long as the consumer doesn't look past the sticker.

carco
04-06-2009, 15:31
DmaxM......, basically the same thoughts I had watching the Tundra pull that fiver. Most Hp is higher in the rpm range and torque is a bit light in general on foreign name plates, therefor for heavy work they do not do so good. I have an uncle with a Tundra, it gets about 15 mpg pulling a 19' boat about 100 miles one way, he does not drive fast either. No way a Tundra is a better buy than GM if you seriously use a truck.

Beedee
04-06-2009, 19:32
Just remember the old saying

"HORSEPOWER SELLS CARS, BUT TORQUE WINS RACES"

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-06-2009, 20:59
Does anyone know for sure about the rumor that the first 'yota 5.7's were letting go of their heads at redline under load? I have heard it a few times, but it's always second hand

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2009, 22:11
Does anyone know for sure about the rumor that the first 'yota 5.7's were letting go of their heads at redline under load? I have heard it a few times, but it's always second hand

I know of only 2, first hand (which still makes it second hand to you). But, I only have 2 friends with them. Maybe it's a California thing. And not a scientific study. Still, a lot more of them, than puddles of aluminum on the roadside from Duramax heads.....

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-07-2009, 08:41
Your word is good enough for me. ;)
I meant by second hand that I seemed to find threads on the internet talking about them breaking up, but no one had actually seen it happen or had it happen to someone they knew.

Edahall
04-07-2009, 10:35
I'm not trying to promote Toyota but they are also selling a bolt-on supercharger kit that increases power to 504 hp (376 kW) and 550 pound-feet (750 N·m) of torque. This brings up the torque to numbers that are higher than the LB7 Duramax. When the installation is carried out by a Toyota dealership the existing warranty remains intact. Motor Trend's test of the supercharged Tundra resulted in a 1/4 mile of 13.0 sec @ 106.3 mph (171.1 km/h) and 4.4 seconds to run from 0-60 mph. This truck also received a reliability rating of 10.0 out of 10.0 by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Toyota_Tundra/Reliability/

carco
04-07-2009, 16:28
I know there is a re-thread kit for the head bolt holes in the block to repair threads pulled out by the head bolts leading to blown bead gaskets, Honda also.

jasondmann
04-07-2009, 17:54
We have an 08 Toyota for hauling the race car, we pull a 35' TAG triple axle enclosed trailer, estimated at 7000lbs.

It wouldn't be our truck of choice but our sponsor told our owner to pick any truck he wanted off the Toyota lot, our owner works for our sponsor and uses the Toyota to pull many different trailers most days of the week and the race car on weekends.

Living in the prairies it isn't terrible but you spend a lot of time with the throttle on the floor. Also you have to wonder about a truck that comes with a "C" rated tire.

DickWells
04-07-2009, 19:20
Not quite off the subject, but close. Had an old Yankee, Skin-Flint, Tight-Wad, (Fred A----) who worked at IBM and moon-lighted selling fire wood.
Every 3-4 years, he's buy a bare bones Chevy half-ton with 3 speed manual, and 6 cylinder engine. First thing he'd do is take it to the local spring shop for 3 additional leaves in back. He'd build a set of side boards tall enough to hold a stack of green hardwood that he sold as 1.5 cords per load! Far as I ever heard, he never had a mechanical problem with one of those trucks! I knew him well enough, that if he'd had a problem, he'd have swapped makes in a hurry. Wonder if even a TuRD would hold up lile that?
DW:)

christophersond
04-08-2009, 10:59
I'm not trying to promote Toyota but they are also selling a bolt-on supercharger kit that increases power to 504 hp (376 kW) and 550 pound-feet (750 N·m) of torque. This brings up the torque to numbers that are higher than the LB7 Duramax. When the installation is carried out by a Toyota dealership the existing warranty remains intact. Motor Trend's test of the supercharged Tundra resulted in a 1/4 mile of 13.0 sec @ 106.3 mph (171.1 km/h) and 4.4 seconds to run from 0-60 mph. This truck also received a reliability rating of 10.0 out of 10.0 by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Toyota_Tundra/Reliability/
It's strictly a personal preference issue. If you are happy owning a Tundra, that's all that counts. :) Happy trails.
Chris

DennisG01
04-08-2009, 13:19

Toyota makes a fine vehicle. Can't really say anything bad about it, but honestly, it's not even close to being in the same class of a tow vehicle as a diesel - even with the supercharger. As mentioned above, a very important fact is not how much power an engine makes, but more importantly where it makes it's power in the RPM band. Also, how about:

-- The tranny - many times this is at least as important as the engine. Ceratinly, the Toyota tranny can't hold a candle to the capabilities of the Ally.
-- Frame size.
-- Suspension
-- Wheels/tires
-- BRAKES

Again, I'm not really saying anything negative about the Toyota, but we're comparing apples to oranges here.

Besides, all manufacturer's (Chevy/Ford/Dodge included) have been grossly inflating their tow ratings - especially on their respective 1/2 tons. C'mon now, are there any experienced drivers/towers/haulers out there who would feel comfortable towing 10,000lbs with a 1/2 ton frame/suspension/brakes? Not me. Pulling a load in a straight line is one thing. But start adding 6+% inclines and declines, wind, having to make an emergency lane change and swerving while braking and it's a whole different ball game.

I wonder what a DMax could make in horsepower if you could wind it up to 6,000RPM and add that onto a hot ECM already making 500-600HP and 800+lb/ft. :D

Edahall
04-08-2009, 16:55
It's strictly a personal preference issue. If you are happy owning a Tundra, that's all that counts. :) Happy trails.
Chris

Nah, I'll keep my 82 Suburban with the 6.2L diesel. It's paid for and has paid for itself many times over. I also doubt the Tundra does as well on fuel and is as easy to work on.