PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Oregon

MTullis
04-06-2009, 15:15
Well, not that new, I guess...Hi everyone! :)

I have been a member of this site since December of 08, but haven't had much time to browse and check things out. Now I am in the process of setting up my 94 K2500 6.5 Suburban for a big June trip that will involve a fair amount of off road travel in Montana. So I am looking around at winch options at the moment.

I found a guy selling a Warn 12lb winch on a Warn "classic" bumper with some other do-dads on it (PIIAs, etc.) from a 1990 Chevy truck. Maybe its an easy question, but I am under the impression that the GMT 400 platform started for trucks a few years before they used it for the Suburban, starting in 92. So in other words a bumper that fits on a 1990 truck should fit a 94 suburban, right?

There is the issue of the air intake holes, but apparently this style warn bumper had some sort of optional air scoop for turbo diesel applications. I am looking into this scoop option. If I can't find one, how big a deal is having a bumper without air intake holes?

I appreciate any tips or ideas from the collective wisdom of the group on this bumper/winch issue.

Oh, and that's not me leaning against my rig from last summer's trip in Montana. It is my son, who looks like I did at 17 (but at that time I was driving a 79 GMC shortbed 4x4). I never show up in pictures these days; always behind the camera.

Thanks,

Mark

Robyn
04-06-2009, 15:28
A big TDP welcome

Nice Burb.

Ever get over Newberg way, look me up. I own the gun shop in downtown by the theater.

best

Missy Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-06-2009, 20:51
Welcome from just north of the border. And do a search on air intakes on here. You will find a lot of valuable info. ;)

arveetek
04-07-2009, 06:39
Welcome!

To help answer your question, the platform for your 'burb did come out in 1988. However, GM continued to make the old body style (73-87) trucks in the cab and chassis, Blazer, and Suburban lines up through 1991.

So, if the bumper came off a 1990 1/2 or 3/4 ton, you know you're safe. If it came off a 1 ton, you'll need to find out which body style it was.

Casey

Robyn
04-07-2009, 07:42
The crew cab dually's were built on the old style until 92.

91 was the accepted termination point but a few were built in 92.

They had many nice upgrades that were to be released on the GM400 lines

Best

RC

MTullis
04-07-2009, 14:00
Thanks for the comments. So last evening (in fantastic weather, btw), I did go check out the bumper/winch combo a guy was selling on Craigslist. In fact, Robyn, I may have passed your shop on the way there--I drove through Newberg on the way to Dayton to meet the guy selling the bumper. I will definitely stop by another time. On a side note, I'm actually in the market for a couple of inexpensive used bolt action .22 rifles to use with a group of scouts for passing off some rifle merit badges in a few weeks now that things are drying out a bit.

Anyway, the guy selling the bumper was a really nice guy. Just struggling in this brutal economy, as he is in the construction business, which we all know has taken a nose dive of late. Both the bumper and winch were in great shape for being 7 years old. The 12K lb warn winch was used a handful of times, he said, and looked brand new. No rust anywhere; he kept it covered. The bumper was rust free as well--quite an accomplishment for an Oregon vehicle.

We tested it out and it seemed to work alright. New remote, never used before (he lost the original). So it seemed like a good deal, and and since we determined the bumper would in fact fit, I went ahead and bought it -- an early birthday present from my wife. (My birthday is in August). I think the key was taking her with me (and all the kids) to meet the nice family selling it, see how it works, let her play with it a bit, etc.

Now I'm looking forward to installing it, which seems like it should be pretty straight forward -- three bolts on the frame on each side. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Mark

dr.olds
07-20-2009, 18:36
any chance you could reply to this to make sure i got the hang of this computer stuff? (need help)