PDA

View Full Version : Cowl hood

jeffrey b
04-13-2005, 14:43
I would like to install a Ram air hood, Stylin Concepts has their own with functional air inlet. It shows an air inlet that dumps air in the area about where my 95 Chevy has the turbo. Has anyone done this and made an air box assembly to feed and open air assembly? Sure would dump in cold air I think. Any suggestions?
Jeff

patrick m.
04-13-2005, 18:10
if you could fabricate a duct system that funnels air to the turbo inlet, and seals to the hood.......

DA BIG ONE
04-14-2005, 00:14
Sounds good, however, you need to make baffles to keep water from getting into the intake too. If perhaps water is not an issue where you are then go for it!

catmandoo
04-14-2005, 16:09
jeffrey are you refering to the olds 442 style hood,if so i have one on my 92 c1500 and i have yet to make an air box but it's comin,i set up my banks and used some 3 inch mandrel bent ex pipe ,welded 2 90 degree elbows and now my k&n sits right below the opening

More Power
04-15-2005, 08:21
Tape some paper strips to the top of the hood you have now in the area where the scoops appear on the hood you're interesed in.

You'll be able to see whether the oncoming air flattens the paper or lifts it (pos/neg air pressure). Some feel the rather blunt front on these trucks deflect air up and over the front half of the hood, which might not produce any ram air effect. The factory scoops used on the 60's musclecars were there for looks, and didn't produce any (or very little) ram air effect.

I had a bra on a 1994 6.5TD Blazer once that included a covering for the first 10" or so of the hood. That cover was always lifting off the hood at speeds above 65-mph (negative air pressure).

Cowl induction, on the other hand, does force air into the engine compartment due to the high pressure area created at the bottom of the windshield.

MP