PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 power

raybubba73
04-08-2009, 19:03
I am looken for some help on how to get more power out of my 1989 6.2 with out spending a arm and leg can some one help me??

Subzilla
04-09-2009, 05:19
The first thing you can do, of course, is to make sure your filters are fresh. Then remove the very restrictive plumbing mess between the air cleaner and the radiator support. You'd be surprise at how small the openings are. Only drawback is you might get more of an engine air intake sound - not always bad. The next free mod can be turning up the injector pump - there is lots of info here on the DP on how to do this. But you need to add a pyrometer, otherwise known as an exhaust temperature guage. Adding more fuel leads to higher exhaust temps which if exceeding 1000 to 1200 degrees continuously on a hill pull, head damage can result. Gotta watch those temps! Again, lots of info on the Page on this. The next money investment can be a larger exhaust. I might actually do the exhaust before turning up the pump. Banks has a Stinger kit with exhaust and intake improvements plus a pyrometer.

Have fun.

Robyn
04-09-2009, 07:47
Welcome to TDP :D

The issue with the 6.2 is complicated. The little 6.2 is a great workhorse but its ability to make much power is limited by its volumetric efficiency.

Turning up the IP will increase power some but also with the power come more smoke and HEAT.

A better free flowing exhaust would be a great plus.

The best way to get power is to install a turbo charger.

You can find used Banks turbo kits on ebay and craigs list often at good prices.

The 6.2 is only good for about 160 HP as a naturally asperated engine.

With a turbo this number can easily climb to 205 or so.

Hope this is of use

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
04-09-2009, 07:56
Stan's Headers has headers for several 6.2L chassis applications (Summit used to carry them, don't know now). They work on N/A engines, the same as they do for gassers. Exhaust scavenging will increase performance. Larger exhaust isn't required (although it may be desired), as the OEM pipes aren't too small (as we would expect, because OEM's always seem too small). Headers, H-pipe (tuned balance pipe), free flow mufflers, optimized timing and pump fueling, open/large intake, dual air cleaner (stacked), and a hotter thermostat (195-205°), with a well working remainder of the system), will increase performance significantly. So much so, many folks who have done this feel a turbo is no longer necessary. An added bonus is about a 20% gain in fuel economy over a turbo. I've done all but the headers on my 85 (and eliminated the EGR), and the improvements are night and day.

Subzilla
04-09-2009, 11:00
Oh, one more thing. If you have a C engine, the EGR in the middle of the intake manifold (plus the EGR) inhibits some power. Find an intake for a J engine - no EGR. Can usually find these on Ebay.

Robyn
04-09-2009, 15:01
Stans headers is still around.
http://www.stans-headers.com

I talked with them recently about some stuff.

Good luck

Robyn

Edahall
04-09-2009, 15:02
Another thing to add to the list is porting the heads and port matching the heads to the intake manifold.

Here's the procedures:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Head%20Porting%20DIY%20by%20Standard%20Abrasives.p df

DmaxMaverick
04-09-2009, 16:25
^^^

Good idea. Every little bit helps, and if you get all the little bits, they add up to a lot.

Robyn
04-10-2009, 06:57
Its amazing how much is lost in performance and mileage due to the very crude forms that stuff comes out the door at detroit.

It seems like the big boys always miss the boat on exhaust and intake issues.

New rigs always have a sleezy exhaust system with horrible flow characteristics and the intakes and heads are usually no better.

I often wonder why the big three could not have taken a bit more initiative to make these areas better.

To do an exhaust system right costs very little more than doing a sloppy job.

Case in point is the crushed and tweeked down pipe on the early 6.5 TD's

Simple smooth bent down pipe works wonders????????/

Mandrel bent Xover pipe is sweet, factory uses a cobbled up wrinked mess instead.

The factories should farm this stuff out to folks who understand exhaust.

Ahh I understand, if the factory made it right then the aftermarket would not be in business, maybe ???/ :D

Yesssss for sure, take the time to do all the little trick things and it will make a lot of difference.

Hve fun with the 6.2

Robyn

JohnC
04-10-2009, 08:10
...The factories should farm this stuff out to folks who understand exhaust...

$10.00 x 250,000 = $2.5 million...