PDA

View Full Version : DASH Brake Light is on? (idiot light)

efialtis
04-12-2009, 06:53
I noticed that my idiot light for the brakes is on all the time on my dash...you know the red one with (P) and (!) in it...
Every once in a while, while braking, the truck shutters...feels like the brakes are grabbing and releasing - one time it was so bad that it felt like the truck was jumping...

The brake pads are all fine, the drums and rotors too...there is enough fluid in there...so I am at a loss...

Why would the light be on, what is broken, what should I check next?

Robyn
04-12-2009, 07:35
Check the switch on the parking brake to be sure its working properly.
The switch is actuated by the park brake and could be stuck or otherwise compromised.

LH side kick panel up on top of the brake actuator. Should be a ground circuit type switch.

Best

Robyn

flomulgator
05-03-2009, 00:16
Had the same problem, and simply removed the corresponding light bulb from the IP. However, this sounds like a better idea!

HillBilly2
05-03-2009, 08:01
My 89 came on one time after an emergency stop. I had to disconnect the battery and let the system reset to clear it. I'm not sure of all the things that can light this up, but the emergency brake switch is one, I think ABS will set it, maybe low fluid level or low pedal?

bl78ljb
05-04-2009, 08:45
Depending on the year it could also be the ABS warning light as some models didn't have a separate light for ABS faults. One way to check is it should get brighter when the parking brake is set (though not always). Add your truck info to your signature and that will be more helpful in diagnosing this.