PDA

View Full Version : trouble getting ops back in

balloonbld
04-12-2009, 16:22
First I had trouble taking the old oil pressure sensor out. I removed the two bolts holding the fuel filter on to give me more room for access to the ops.
My socket didn't line up with the ops and ended breaking the black end of the ops off. Then I used the socket to remove the rest of the oil pressure switch. All the posts I have seen here with regards to getting the sensor out and replaced are concerning me because you all talk about how easy it is. I have the ops threaded back in but now I can't pull the socket off not enough clearance what can I unbolt to get the socket off? I've tried two different sockets a 1/2" and a 3/8" both with bad clearance. Right now I have the 3/8" socket on it.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Joe

Robyn
04-12-2009, 17:44
I have never seen an issue with any of these.

Some of the early ones that used the port in the back of the block by the head deck were a tad nasty if someone had twisted the adapter fittings around some.

The 97 has the OPS up in the valley and is very easy to access.
??????????// Not sure what to say.

Robyn

gmenor
04-12-2009, 18:27
I purchased a 3/8 and 1/2 inch adapter that goes into the socket very useful for tight situations like you are experiencing. It has a hexed head for wrenches and I am pretty sure that is what I used for that particular job. I got it at Sears in their impact sockets sets. Otherwise use a cutoff grinder and cut 1/4 inch off the socket.

Burning Oil
04-12-2009, 22:05
Check out my web site. I have a OPS EXT HOSE there. $19.99
www.pmdcable.com

wfyehl
04-13-2009, 07:11
I have the ops threaded back in but now I can't pull the socket off not enough clearance what can I unbolt to get the socket off?
Joe

I've had the same issue. Either you need to take off the intake manifold (YUK!) or find a crow's foot socket to do it. It didn't line up correctly on mine, either, so I took off the intake manifold to replace the OPS.

balloonbld
04-13-2009, 09:36
Well thanks guys,
I just ordered the extention hose I'm glad that there are others to verify my sanity. I really do like reading your posts generally Robyn I was just a little miffed with you're shooting me down like that . Perhaps you can help me with my other post.
Having this forum and others like gm-diesel.com have made it so I have been able to go from being able to change my oil and break pads to much more ambitious projects, saving me money in these tight times.
Thanks again
Joe

Burning Oil
04-13-2009, 10:51
Thank you, It will go out today. I emailed tracking info to you.