PDA

View Full Version : Injection timing

Wing Nut OOA
04-14-2009, 08:57
so i'm assuming these

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7641/timingmarks.jpg

are my timing marks on the injection pump and that they SHOULD be lined up...but are not.

correct?

More Power
04-14-2009, 23:43
Ordinarily, the timing marks found on the DB2 and the timing cover flange match somewhat closely. There's about 3 degrees of timing for every 1/16" difference between the two.

What's the story on the pump installation? On the timing set installation?

Jim

Wing Nut OOA
04-15-2009, 08:44
when i changed the heads i loosened the IP. didn't know at the time it was adjustable.

put it back together and thats where it was.

i loosened it yesterday and rotated it as much as the injection lines would allow.

i'm about 3/16 to 1/4 off now instead of 1/2

the check engine light doesnt come on anymore.

i'm still going to pull the intake back off and correct the issue.

Wing Nut OOA
05-03-2009, 13:26
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9295/nonametqb.jpg

this is as close as the slots will allow me to get the marks to lined up.

still about 1/8th off.

is this going to be okay?

i'm not seeing where i really have a choice

Robyn
05-03-2009, 17:28
If the light is off and you dont get the 88 code you are close.

If these thing have had an IP changed the lines may not line up even close.

There is a tool that goes into where the IP bolts up and then with the engine at TDC on #1 cyl the tool will mark the cover.

The pump and cover should line up but the only way to have it right is to use a tech tool and set it.

The computer will be happy if the timing is within about 8 degrees IIRC

The ECM will take it and do its thing then. Outside of that area the DTC 88 will set.

If an IP is to be removed to do an overhaul the case and the IP should be marked. Once this is done the IP can be reinstalled and things will pick right back up from where they were and all will be fine.

The ECM has the timing value stored as to where it was when it was shut down and will use this value when it restarts.

Robyn

Wing Nut OOA
05-03-2009, 21:42
i'm sure its not right on for optimum performance.

i'll try and find a shop around thats got a tester.

unless you've got a suggestion?

Mark said they dont have the equipment to test it and said i should just move it in increments.

i dont feel comfortable doing that since its all the way to one side already.

JohnC
05-05-2009, 10:23
Get a software package for your PC to read the TDC offset. If the TDC offset is correct everything else falls into place.

Engh Motors and (maybe?) Kennedy Diesel, both advertisers, have offerings.

Wing Nut OOA
05-05-2009, 19:15
cool thankyou!

Wing Nut OOA
05-12-2009, 13:23
i've been researching how to make my own ALDL interface cable and it looks pretty easy

i've got most of the parts to make it but i dont have a DB9 connection on my labtop. i've got the compact DB15 and the DB25 on the back.

i'd much rather use the 15 but will use the 25 if i have to.

does anyone know if i can use the DB15 plug on the side and if so which numbers do the wires go to.

thanks.

Wing Nut OOA
05-12-2009, 13:55
what i'm really interested is getting this to work with a USB end on it.

WITHOUT BUYING A USB SERIAL ADAPTER!

dont want to go that route.

jhornsby3
05-12-2009, 22:15
I see that you are in Salem, Oregon. There is a guy in Newberg that is supost to be a wiz at diesels. Robyn might know the guy. Might be easier to just have him set it for you and then go from there. If you want to go that route let me know and I can try to get his number. From what I've heard he's priced right too but not sure.

John H

suburbanK-2500HD
05-13-2009, 13:02
what i'm really interested is getting this to work with a USB end on it.

WITHOUT BUYING A USB SERIAL ADAPTER!

dont want to go that route.

This is for OBD I

Hi, try this, i built this ALDL to Pc interface, and it works great.

I also found a rs232(DB9) to USB chema. http://pinouts.ru/Converters/usb_serial_adapter_pinout.shtml

hope this can help you.

Wing Nut OOA
05-14-2009, 08:38
well, while i can do a great many things i think i'm still a few years away from building a circuit board.

i'll either be trying to get it to work with my DB25 Printer port or spending the cash for the USB cable.

which i may do anyway because i plan on buying the Scan Tech tool program license.

the capabilities of that program are awesome!

and for 185 it comes with the cable.