PDA

View Full Version : Going to Synthetic and Back

Miles
04-14-2009, 09:40
I went in to have my 2002's oil changed this morning and they wanted 120+tax+disposal fees. It then hit me that I have some amsoil (sp?) synthetic that I bought a few years back and was going to try but never did. Will it hurt to run some synthetic thru her and then go back to a more conventional oil?

I can go to the local auto parts store and pick up oil and a filter if there might be a problem.

.. for the record SES came on again with more glow plugs going bad. Sigh.

Don in Long Beach

More Power
04-14-2009, 10:34
Synthetic and conventional motor oils are supposed to be compatible with one another, and there shouldn't be a problem when switching back and forth. If you have enough Amsoil for a complete service, use it.... ;)

Jim

tx dave
04-15-2009, 03:01
How long do you go between oil changes. I've used amsoil / duel by pass system since my 01 was new. I usually change the oil once a year with sometimes 20K on the oil. The anaylis report says the oil is still good, the color is still honey but I change everything anyway. Yes it cost about $200 to change everything but thats a once ayear cost. Also a recent tear down of the heads, 225K on the truck showed a clean almost like new interior engine, including the top of the pistons and around the valves. So to me that can only be the amsoil I will use it for ever in this truck.

Shed
04-15-2009, 09:47
My Amsoil dealer has said repeatedly that the oils will be fine together, the only difference being that you will not get the full benefit of the Amsoil synthetic. We first talked about this when I changed oil away from home and did'nt have enough Amsoil (my stupidity). I have 10k on my oil and the test on it came back as 73% life availiable. Amazing, pulled trailer 1300 miles in that span.

hrsedrvr
05-03-2009, 06:23
i've been thinking about switching to synthetic oil and just wondering if it is really worth it, does it make a differance? if so what is a good brand?

leolkfrm
05-09-2009, 05:38
Our local gmc dealer gets $65 for a lube, oil and filter change. did yours include a fuel filter?