PDA

View Full Version : Going to LTs, any advise?

DickWells
04-14-2009, 17:51
Like someone said in a thread that I started in the Forum, "No more trailer tires! Though I have to admit that hardware was the issue with two out of the three flats that I had in 3 days, (one on the tow vehicle), I've had it with Chinese made junk tires. Those on the trailer are Carlisle, LR-E's, with less than 18 K miles, and they're not holding up well. This trailer came with LR-D's, and that was even worse. Why the mfgrs put under rated tires on these trailers is just shy of criminal.
I believe that GM or Toyota 6 lug wheels will fit. I'm thinking Tahoe/Suburban 16" alloys. I'm not going to buy steel wheels again. Sick of dealing with peeling paint and rust. I know I have clearance inside the wells. Any reason not to go that way?
Whatever the wheels I end up with, the tires are going to be LR-E, LT's!
Your thoughts? And thanks.
DW:)

hogbody
04-14-2009, 22:11
Check the rim offset. It should be as close to neutral as possible if I remember correctly. Your axle manufacture would have the spec's.

I hav pulled over 30 yrs and finally got tired of fighting ST tires and put BF Goodrich Commercial 285 75 R 16's on it. Best thing I ever did and I got a great deal through America's/Discount Tire. The beat the Costco Price by 10% and Costco wouldn't install them on the trailer.......no room in the parking lot.

Good Luck, Larry

DennisG01
04-15-2009, 06:39
Coming from the marine industry (and primarily a trailerable boat dealership) I'm well aware of why an ST tire is supposed to be better for a trailer.

In the past two years, I've had two blow-outs on the highway. But, can't blame it on the ST's as both times I picked up a nail. Both times it was the front left tire.

However, I'd be interested to hear from people who are using LT's on tandem or tri-axle trailers - especially if you are towing a considerable amount per year.

DickWells
04-15-2009, 08:21
I'd be interested, too. My son's Exiss horse/camper trailer is huge and heavy, and has large 16 inch ST's on it. Still original, with about the limit, age wise, with NO issues. I think they're Goodyears? Go figure.
One thing that bothers me about the Carlisles on my trailer, is that they all have a "dish" in the center of the tread, even at 80 PSI, cold. They just don't look right. And, they are the correct size for the rims. The one that blew, big time, had no hardware in it. Gave no warning, even though there's a Smart Tire senser in it. With all that pressure in them, they still look squat, in comparison to the truck tires, with the same pressure. And, this is with a trailer that came with LR - D's.

DickWells
04-15-2009, 08:53
Won't go for a different off-set, either. If the tires that it came with are less than marginal, the bearings probably aren't over-engineered, either.
Thanks.
DW:)

SmithvilleD
04-15-2009, 11:53
I wonder how the rating/testing of trailer tires varies from LT tires?

Automotive tires have evolved so much that, generally speaking, problems are rare. Blow-outs were notably more common 30-40 years ago. It's as if trailer tires stopped being improved about that time.

With my farm background, I've changed lots of ag tires (eg. wagon tires), and the don't seem to be designed for long-term durability - as compared to automotive tires. I always figured the specs ag tires had to meet were just less demanding.

christophersond
04-15-2009, 13:43
I have towed travel trailers, and 5th wheels for several years. Luckily, I have had extremely good luck when it comes to flat tires and/or blow outs. Without exception, there has always been a nail involved in any tire problem I've had. I did come across a website which supposedly will tell you all you ever wanted to know about trailer tires--no product indorsement intended!! The website is
www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infotrailertirefacts.dos (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infotrailertirefacts.dos). I currently own/tow a Jayco 323RKS 5th wheel. It is a 2005 model, and the Goodyear tires that came on it have never given me any grief. While most of our camping trips are in the local area, I have towed the 5th wheel on some 500-600 mile vacation trips. The 5th wheel has a 12K GVWR.

Chris

MacDR50
04-15-2009, 15:16
My Montana came with Goodyear Marathons 235/80R16E which are trailer tires with a speed limit of 65MPH and a load limit of 3,420 at 80 PSI. (See this GY Technical Bulletin for higher speed use). They are made in China to GY specs. I haven't used them enough to have an opinion yet. My rims are 6.5 inch 8 lug aluminum and good to 110 PSI which puts me in range of GY G614 St 235/85R16G's which come with a 3,750 load limit at 110PSI and are rated at 75MPH. They will fit my rims. I may go this route if the Marathons give me trouble.

Just for fun I did a search on this for subject on this issue and got this hit.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/archive/index.php/t-21018.html

If I was going to choose a LT tire I would give the BFG Commercial T/A's a look. I like their design and they have a 3,415 load rating in a 16" tire.

DickWells
06-01-2009, 20:40
Brought this back up, just to kind of post an up-date. Couldn't go with take-offs from pickups for center hole, offset reasons without a lot of hassle, so I went with American Eagle cast alluminum 8 X 16s. Nice and rugged and they look real nice on the trailer, too. I put BFG Commercial T/A,s on them. L R E's, too. So far, I'm really pleased with them. I've put something over a thousand on them, so far. Can't feel any difference on the road, but they look about 4X more capable, what with the double depth tread, and a MUCH more sturdy side wall.
Went up to Lee's line-up in Chahalis, WA, on my way out, heading home the long way, and had the rear axle checked for allignment. My right rear had been showing wear on the inside with the old Carlisles, and I didn't want to risk wearing out the new ones. It was towing in 7/32 and had 3/8" negative camber! Again, I was told that I hadn't done anything to it, it just wasn't checked when I took it in for allignment in St. George, UT.
I weighed the rig seven ways for Sunday, back in OR, and maybe learned why this model trailer is hard on tires. With the 200 lb Hensley hitch on the tongue, my tongue weight is just over 1400 lbs! Not good, cuz the rear axle supports 800 lbs more than the front! So, I have 14 ft of overhang behind the rear axle and two counter-productive conditions with the same trailer, that amount to a design flaw, in M H O. Guess that it's too much to expect that if the people at Keystone don't care how they weld those spring blocks on, thus producing allignment problems, right out of the box, they sure don't care much about whether the weight distribution is any where near correct. I'm thinking some about adding another axle, this summer. It'll require moving both orriginals, though. I'll need to go 1.5 feet forward with the front axle and 1.5 rearward with the rear axle to get better weight dist. Yuk. Will require moving the waste dumps, too! If I didn't love the floor plan so much, I'd trade it.
Well, that's my story, FWIW.
Dick:)

carco
06-10-2009, 07:16
On my enclosed 38' Gooseneck triaxle I use 285 75 r16 load range E tires. Only flats I have had were on ST 15" tires before switching to 16" wheels and tires. No other problems, but one benefit, I gained about 1.5" of ground clearance.