PDA

View Full Version : Western NY Diesel Mechanic?

BigMikeO
10-23-2003, 11:16
I am looking for a diesel mechanic in Western New York, Buffalo area that won't rip me off. I am ready to give up trying to fix the oil leaks in my truck. I had 3 oil leaks and I was able to resolve 2 of them but the last leak I just can't get rid of. so I'm going to take it to a professional :rolleyes:

slagona
10-23-2003, 12:27
Don't give up!

My wife talked me into taking mine into a "professional" to get my final leak fixed. I ended up taking it to a dealer. While I was at it, I had them install the injectors I had sitting there for 8-10 months and set the TDC offset to -1.94. $1000 later the leak was fixed. A week later, the leak was back. Took it back in and they said there was no leak. 3 months later - it's still leaking.

Hopefully, I'll get to it this weekend.

What leaks did you fix, what do you have left?

BigMikeO
10-24-2003, 04:03
One leak was from the oil cooler lines that I replaced and the other was from the right angle oil filter adapter that are on the 4x4 trucks. the O ring around that hugh bolt was dried up and actually squared off, The napa guy i got a replacement O-ring from didn't even think it was an O-ring, he wanted me to contact the dealer... I ended up having to purchase a 3/4" drive socket wrench set to get enough leverage on that 1 3/8" bolt. "I think that's the size" to get the adapter tight enough to not leak. It took me about 2 weeks of playing with that stuff to get those 2 leaks fixed and now there is this next one. I have to wash down and degrease the engine to see exactly where it is coming from. from what I can tell right now it is on the pasenger side near the front of the engine below the air intake.

slagona
10-27-2003, 11:33
Sounds like we may have similar leaks. I have one somewhere in the valley - probably near the front on the engine. I did clean it up last week - haven't checked to see the status since I've done that. Will probably have to clean it up again now.

Front end leaks could be:

1) Injection pump - seal at timing chain cover
2) Intake Manifold (upper at rubber seal, Lower in cylinders 1 or 2 intake bolts)
3) oil pressure sender
4) turbo oil line

I'm sure there are others.

I'll let you know when I get a chance to look at mine and see where it is coming from. Mine leaks down the valley - then down the passenger's side hitting the cross-over pipe and running down the starter. I have to tow a 8000lb trailer 3000 miles this weekend - so I'm getting ready for that trip...

The leak will have to wait - it's been there for the year I've owned it - it can wait another week now.