PDA

View Full Version : engh motors power chip

dieseldummy
04-17-2009, 21:51
Has anyone here tried the reprogramed chip that engh motors (makers of GMTD scan tech) offers? They advertise approximately 60hp and 100lbs of torque. They are approximately $75 cheaper than the other choices and have no core charge. I just wanted to hear if the $75 savings is worth it or if I should ante-up for the KD chip.

suburbanK-2500HD
04-22-2009, 07:28
Who knows, the chip looks like all the other i have seen.
So its probably the same i guess...
Maybe the programming is different.

Robyn
04-22-2009, 08:14
IMHO

The folks at ENGH did a great job on the GMTD scan so I have no reason to believe that their chip would not be a good one.

My Dually has a Heath in it and it works great. I have a close friend that has a Kennedy chip in his rig and it too works great.

The 6.5 is going to do just so much given the operating limits of the DS4
(fueling limits) and the turbo system

The injection timing curves can be changed as well as the amount of fuel
The 6.5 without aftercooling is limited to about 12 PSI boost and this will only support just so much fuel without excess heat.

The cooling system is also a serious limiter to what these engines can be allowed to produce without melting something.

A stock cooling system can handle up to about 300 HP and do OK.
The system has to be in top shape even at this to do it well and avoid heating issues.

My suggestion would be to see if any real time dyno data is available fron ENGH

Try one and see what the old Butt dyno tells ya :)

Do some 0-60 trials with a stop watch and compare like vehicles with the different chips and see what shakes out.

best

Robyn

john8662
04-22-2009, 12:34
From your signature, you've got a '94, I'd verify with 'em of whether or not they're aware of the oddball 5068 injection pump, and how that plays into the chip scenario. I'm sure that Kennedy has a solution for this platform, maybe it puts out more HP/TQ than a standard DS4?
J

dieseldummy
04-22-2009, 20:52
I did email them asking about the IP issue and the response is that as long as I got them the code off of the chip it didn't matter. Don't know if that is the truth though since the other programers need to know.

I was just looking for some real world feedback from someone who has used one before. I didn't really want to be the guinnea pig...

Doesn't matter much now I guess since I spent my add-on fund on a grain drill today!:o

kojo
04-24-2009, 23:33
I'we been used enghs chip before i made my own.

5068 pump and chips are piece of cake, that four letter code on chip tells version of chip and if engh just copies new tables to that same version on chip it'll work.

I have done some testing with different pumps and chips, i have installed 5521 to truck where originally was 5068, started just nice, but got no power and timing was off.. then changed chip meant for 5521 to it and it ran fine. I've also tested 5068 and other chips (this is intresting) but everything is doable, only difference in 5068 trucks is chip and pump, everything works fine when they are right.

stezloco
04-23-2010, 15:24
have just ordered the cable and licence from engh motors and enquired about dyno figures for their chip,if theyve got them, ...after ive sorted out the niggles on this truck, i'm going to buy their chip, because its cheap and i'm sure, as Robyn suggests,theres no reason to suspect it wont be up to the job, theres no test like the 'bum in seat' test.;)

Robyn
04-23-2010, 19:18
Yeah Buddy, the O'l Butt dyno never lies eh :D

Its amazing how many Horsepower can be clocked on the "Butt Dyno"
The torque figures are astounding too.

Was out once,many long years ago, doing a Butt Dyno run on a 1975 K5 Blazer with a well built 454 under the hood.

The full time 4x4 was not up to the task though. The Butt Dyno said we had lots of room left and the front driveline had other ideas and left the scene in a hurry for parts unknown. :eek:

Keep us posted on how well the chip works for ya.

I am currently running a Heath chip which is about 2 years old. Its not the latest version that Bill sells but it works real well in DaHoooley.

My rig came with a KD chip in it. The thing would defuel all the time and the throttle was only useable from idle to 1/2 Pedal. After that the pedal did nothing.

Bills chip is fully linear in operation as far as the throttle goes.

The version I have does not have the lockup reprograming in it either.

Missy

Kennedy
04-26-2010, 13:06
Yeah Buddy, the O'l Butt dyno never lies eh :D

My rig came with a KD chip in it. The thing would defuel all the time and the throttle was only useable from idle to 1/2 Pedal. After that the pedal did nothing.

Missy

I'd be curious to know what chip this was? It is quite uncharacteristic of the true Kennedy Chip. I think it's a pretty poor practice for a Moderator to comment on an issue with a Supporting Vendor's product publicly, endirse a non supporting vendor's product and not even bother to figure out why the afformentioned second hand chip might not work.

I did email them asking about the IP issue and the response is that as long as I got them the code off of the chip it didn't matter. Don't know if that is the truth though since the other programers need to know.

I was just looking for some real world feedback from someone who has used one before. I didn't really want to be the guinnea pig...

Doesn't matter much now I guess since I spent my add-on fund on a grain drill today!:o

The code off the chip just assures that you get the same base file. If the chip and pump are properly matched that is fine. Myself, I want to make damn sure I get it right so I ask for the pump model number. These trucks are quite old now and there is no way to verify that an odd mix-match has not been done. I've seen and heard numerous cases where the 5068 pump was replaced and the prom left original. Makes for a real dog.

From your signature, you've got a '94, I'd verify with 'em of whether or not they're aware of the oddball 5068 injection pump, and how that plays into the chip scenario. I'm sure that Kennedy has a solution for this platform, maybe it puts out more HP/TQ than a standard DS4?
J

Thank you for suggesting a Supporting Vendor!

P.S. My best suggestion is to move away from the 5068 as ECRY other pump is interchangeable w/o programming changes.

stezloco
05-02-2010, 05:54
[quote=Kennedy;268792]I'd be curious to know what chip this was? It is quite uncharacteristic of the true Kennedy Chip. I think it's a pretty poor practice for a Moderator to comment on an issue with a Supporting Vendor's product publicly, endirse a non supporting vendor's product and not even bother to figure out why the afformentioned second hand chip might not work.

I'm absolutely certain that Missy's comment was not a swipe at yourself or your chip...She was merely stating what happened with that particular chip...no malice intended, i'm sure of that...and yes , youre absolutely right, personally, before i'd go shelling out on another chip from another supplier, i'd want to find out what was wrong with the truck or the chip before i did that.... it is interesting to note however that on your site it states your chip has varied results from an estimated 16hp? to 40+hp?
Engh motors themselves dont supply dyno figures so i'm going out on a limb trying theirs...ive got their cable and OBD1 software for my '95 and i'm pleased with it ...so i'm going to give Stefans chip a shot....ive just got to fix the s##t ive found with his software first...
I value all your comments good bad or otherwise, please keep up the great work....i do love this forum.....best regards....;)

Kennedy
05-02-2010, 06:58
Maybe I should clarify on my HP notes. I make NO claims for numbers. Many claim 80HP and that is pure BS. If I were to put realistic numbers on my site I'd say around 40HP on a good running truck.

The 16HP example was a poorly functioning truck (very sick) that needed a lot of help. Just an example of the saying YMMV Your Mileage May Vary as I cannot control the condition of your vehicle.

ronniejoe
05-02-2010, 12:44
Anyone who claims that their chip can produce 60 hp or 80 hp or more is lying to you. There is no way that a chip alone can produce that much gain on a 6.5...period. It takes a systems approach to make power with the 6.5. There are no "plug-n-play" solutions for the 6.5 that can make any where near 60 hp, let alone 80 hp.

Believe whatever you want to.