PDA

View Full Version : 84 K1500 Bucket Seat Conversion

spiff
04-19-2009, 00:47
I'd like to convert the bench seat in my '84 K1500 to buckets with a console. Will any of the GM bucket seat assemblys bolt in without modification? Any suitable with some modification? I've a line on a set from a 2000 Chevy Extended cab with the center console. Any idea of what work would be necessary to make that set fit?
Thanks
Lloyd

HillBilly2
04-21-2009, 04:44
If I remember correctly, the mounting studs in the center will be missing. You will have to fabricate some sort of attachment and make sure it is reinforced. Just drilling a hole and using a washer will not work, you will eventually end up with a washer sized hole.......:)

spiff
04-21-2009, 09:01
Thanks Hillbilly2.
Looks like I'm not gonna be able to avoid a trip to the wrecking yard to see how they did the factory mounting.
I just hate washer sized holes.

Lloyd

DmaxMaverick
04-21-2009, 09:45
The 2000 seats won't fit your '84. The floor is shaped different, and the bolts are in a different place (or most of them were, I don't recall exactly).

You can locate the new bolts through the floor sheet metal, with large diameter fender washers (2"+ dia) on both sides, with rubber (or nylon) washer insulators and jam nuts (any body shop or hardware store should have these, also helps to keep them from falling through during install. IIRC, you'll have to shim it up about 1/2-3/4" (inside and out are different) to get them to set right, so the washers/jam nut will set it about right. The large fender washers with insulators will prevent the bolts from cookie-cutting the sheet metal.

Also, be sure to use ALL the mounting points on the newer seats. The seat belts are mounted to the seat frame, not the truck body. And use G-8 bolts and red Loc-Tite for your mounting.

spiff
04-23-2009, 03:08
Thanks DmaxMavrick
Your post is extremly helpful, going to take a trip to the boneyard to see in person what I'm up against.

Thanks,
Lloyd