PDA

View Full Version : Battery Cable Blues....

JFerg65
04-25-2009, 11:01
Just walked in the door from a partial battery cable replacement. Mind you I spent all last weekend putting on new stainless oil cooler lines and then on Sunday, replaced all the hoses in the engine bay. By Thursday, the rig was turning over very slowly. So on the way into work I did what any good TDP member would do.... troubleshoot the whole way in to work. The only problem was, I needed to start and stop several times during the day, good thing for the hide a key. Every stop the rig was left running.

Any how, when I finally had a chance to put some tools to this, I had good charging and topped off batteries. I had a feeling it was the cables all along.

So on a beautiful Saturday when I need to be cutting the grass, I'm driving all over the county trying to round up the welders cable and end fittings to start the project.

I started on teh drivers side battery. Cut back the factory connection, and corrosion city. So I replace the cable from the power dist box and the run from the pos side drivers to positive side passenger. Seems to turn over much better for now. I will get the list together to swap out the remaining cables.

I cut back the other positive cable and it looked pretty good. I shot the remining ones up with some penetrant, and hopefully that will get me by.

I've got a couple of great pics, of the freshly uncovered corrosion. If I ever can figure out how to post the pics, I will. You never would have thought there was tha much corrosion under the one fitting.

Off to cut the grass.... OH yeah, the tractor battery is dead, best drink a beer while the battery charges.

jerry598
05-10-2009, 12:27
There's a good description in an article on this site (not the forum) about how to modify the side mount terminals and completely eliminate the corrosion and bad connection problem. I did it on my 95 and have never experienced a slow crank or low power startup since then, and I also see no evidence of any new corrosion building on the battery terminals, even after two years of service.

JFerg65
05-10-2009, 16:51
That's the mod I did as well. Unfortunately, I still am experiencing slow cranking. Batteries are good, and she is charging. It is the original starter 159,000. So, I'm going to have it rebuilt here in short order.