PDA

View Full Version : allison tranny temps ?

hapaschold
04-26-2009, 03:37
had truck in for leaking tranny cooler line repair.

temps used to be 125 to 135 140 max......

now temps running up to 175 real fast, but not much more.

same load on truck, 3 years now on may 5, never saw temps that high.

what temps are other s running ?

thanks !

chambie
04-26-2009, 05:02
My truck seems to be in the same range as yours was before the cooler line replacement. When i have my trailer on i have seen it in the 170's. Ambient temp seems to make quite a difference.

Mark Rinker
04-26-2009, 05:44
Outside temps make a big difference, for sure. Running the A/C, low speed towing without tow/haul, and a heavy foot will increase temps as well.

Your numbers sound normal to me. In fact the previous numbers sound low.

hapaschold
04-26-2009, 14:10
dont understand the change thou since tranny cooler lines were changed.....

even on hot days, 90 f, 140 was the hottest i saw....

is tranny cooler part of radiator or is it a separate cooler circuit ?

jbplock
04-26-2009, 15:42
... is tranny cooler part of radiator or is it a separate cooler circuit ?

It has both .. IIRC the circuit routes fluid to a cooler section in the radiator then to the the external cooler .. the pass through the rad helps warm up tranny fluid when ambient temps are low ..

hapaschold
04-27-2009, 03:30
is there a chance they changed the program on where the tranny oil goes and when ?

Mark Rinker
04-27-2009, 13:11
If you are still seeing temps coming up faster/higher than usual, under no towing load, I would look for these possible culprits, in this order:

New lines routed near, or touching exhaust - or other hot metal componant
Crimp in new line or fitting, reducing coolant flow
Low transmission fluid level
Plugged / blocked spin-on transmission filterIs it possible that you established your 'mental average' during cold months, and the difference now is simply outside temps?

hapaschold
04-28-2009, 03:18
hi mark...

going to check fluid level and perhaps change the spin on filter.

i m pretty good watching all the gauges year round and perhaps the mental image of temps are off a bit....but coming off the 3 year part of warranty, i worry.

last year i had boss s surburban and was amazed at it s operating temps in 80 degree weather. temps on that got to 200 degree s real fast.

thanks