PDA

View Full Version : How can i tell if my K2500 is HD?

supracnine
04-28-2009, 13:33
Hello all, I own a 94' Chevy 6.5T k2500 I'm new to this site so i look forward to absorbing the plethora of information contained in the 6.2/6.5 community!
Now, i have a question about weather or not my truck is an HD version, the original GM dealer window slip states that my manual (L,1,2,3,OD) 4x4 transmission is of the HD variety but my truck does not bare the 2500HD badge on the doors as the newer chevy trucks do, so how can i tell and what are the actual differances between them. I do beilieve the HD has a seccondary Harmonic Balancer which i dont bileve i have.

Also a quick question about where to install the boost guage line on the intake, i removed the sensor directly ontop of the intake before it bends down to the flat spot that begs me to install a BOV there lol, and so that is where i installd the boost guage line. I dont know if i should replace the sensor and relocate the line cause im not sure what it does and it dosnt seem to affect my engine in any way although i could be quite mistaken. Thanks. :)

john8662
04-28-2009, 13:59
Search the forum (with the search feature) for images and discussions surrounding where various others have installed the fitting for the boost gauge. There is no ready port that you can use, you will have to drill, then tap your own hole, which isn't bad, usually in the upper intake manifold (after removing it of course).

You need to re-install the sensor you removed, that's what the computer uses to measure the air intake temperature as it's coming out of the turbocharger itself. This is for safety, because it can and will defuel the engine to help protect itself (see the word help) against meltdown when running in hot temperatures or pulling (usually in hot temperatures). I'm sure it does more too...

HD, none of the 88-99 Body style trucks had the HD badging except the 3500HD which was NOT a 1-Ton truck, it's your cherry picker, and tow truck type chassis.

Some of us will refer to a 2500 as an HD because there is technically a Light Duty version though. This is in the form of what differential and suspension is under the truck, it's also identifyable of the GVW of the truck. You'll need to identify that to know.

J

supracnine
04-28-2009, 15:18
Thanks. I will go return the sensor to its rightful home and tap a new hole as soon as i can.

As for my truck weight, its the 8600 lbs version so im thinking I DO have the heavier duty truck. so what makes a truck a 1 ton? dually s? If the 3500s aren't then what is the difference between 2500 and a 3500/HD are the frame rails the same with different suspension parts.

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2009, 15:35
If the GVWR is 7200, it's a 2500LD. If the GVWR is 8600, it's an HD.

You don't have to drill to install your boost line. A plenum housing bolt is available, which replaces an existing bolt, and it threaded to accept your tube fitting. Check out THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=33401).

ronniejoe
04-28-2009, 17:14
3500 SRW (single rear wheel) trucks are rated at 9200 lb. IIRC. The 8600 GVW Suburbans, though, share all the same components as the 3500 SRW trucks (10.5" floating diff, 13.5" X 3" rear brakes among other things).

opto
04-29-2009, 10:25
the 2500HD has the same front axle setup as the 3500 with 8 wheel studs
and if I'm correct it usaly has a 14 semifloatingrear axle with 8 stud
the frame is also weaker than the 3500

the 2500Ld share the same front end as the 1500 4WD
but has 6 bolt semifloating 14 rear axle

while the 1500 has a 10 bolt axle
weaker frame

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-29-2009, 18:17
if you have 8600 GVW, your sitting in an HD.
There isn't a whole lot of difference in frame size. This is coming after comparing frames between 3 6.5's. One half ton five bolt, one LD2500 6 bolt, and my HD2500 8 bolt. i haven't seen the SF 8 bolt rearend on a 88-98 diesel yet. only seen them on the LD's and halfs. The FF is a very tough rearend, just don't be expecting the Gov-Lok posi to be handling burnouts for very long :rolleyes: