PDA

View Full Version : What year truck did my 2002 AMG/GEP come out of?

Rob4
04-29-2009, 11:07
I am getting ready to install a 2002 Military AMG/GEP 6.5 in my 1994 one ton. I want to replace the oil pump, water pump, timing gears and chain, etc. What changes/improvements have taken place over the years? I saw in some TDP thread that water pumps have a greater flow beginning in 1997? Are some oil pumps better in certain years? If I go to Oreilly's or Autozone and give them a 2002 year for a 6.5 engine, their computer will probably spit out numbers for a 1956 Studebaker with a Golden Hawk engine. So what year truck do I need to tell them I have so I get the best/right parts?

Thanks for the help,
Rob

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2009, 13:23
Use 1999. All the updated pumps were before then. This includes the higher output water pump, and high volume oil pump (to accommodate the piston cooler oil spray). The timing set is universal, clear back to 1982. The only improvement to the timing set would be to upgrade to an aftermarket gear drive. Do not use 2001 or later, or you'll get Duramax parts. Many parts catalogs don't show listings for 2000.

More Power
04-30-2009, 19:02
Just to add.... If you want to use your 1994 fan and fan-clutch, get the 1997-98 water pump. The 1999 water pump used a screw-on style fan-clutch, meaning your 1994 stuff won't work with it. ;)

Normally, these oil pumps are good for a long-long time. I'd not replace it unless there was an oil pressure problem. I've re-used them with good success after a rebuild on two engines.

Jim

Rob4
05-01-2009, 19:46
Thanks for helping me out on this. The guy I got the engine from says it's a good engine. I was just going to replace a few things that might go bad in the future since I had it out. I wasn't really sure about replacing the oil pump so it's good to hear that it's probably not necessary. I have noticed that this engine doesn't use the oil nozzles. It has the holes drilled but they are plugged off. Will a high volume pump cause any problems if there are no nozzles? It looks like a greater oil volume would be great for an engine without nozzles? Thanks again for the input.

DmaxMaverick
05-01-2009, 19:58
The high volume pump is neither required nor desired, on a non-spray engine. While it won't hurt the bearings, lifter, and such, it will take more power away from the drive, and add strain/wear to the valve timing set.

As Jim said, if it was fine before, it should be fine now. The pumps don't really "wear out". They fail, but they fail new as often as old.

Rob4
05-03-2009, 17:55
DmaxMaverick, thanks for clearing up the oil pump question. I'll stick with the one in the engine. Thanks again.