PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!! Dead Truck!

stantjeeper85
04-29-2009, 20:21
Im new here and later on Ill take some time to introduce myself but right now I have a problem...

I own an 89 suburban 6.2. Today on my way home from work the altenator belt broke, the altenator stopped turning, and the batteries drained (I have dual batteries). As soon as I got home and turned the truck off, it wasnt able to start again, of course. The urgency? I cant afford to be late tomorrow morning. My question? If i jump the truck off and get it started, does it need the altenator turning in order to run and get me to work on time, or will the engine turn and the truck move without the altenator? I can always get the belt replaced after work, i just gotta get to work on time. thanks

andy

BobQ
04-29-2009, 20:50
Hi Andy,

I'm not 100% positive, but I think you can just jump it and drive it without the alternator. I know on the Diesel IH Scouts, you could turn the key off with the engine still running and not miss a beat (they had a cable/handle to pull to kill the engine).

Anyone else?

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2009, 21:17
The batteries will need charging. So, when you jump start it, let the other vehicle charge the batteries for 30 minutes, or so, before heading out. Very little juice is needed to keep running. Only the fuel solenoid is required to keep the engine running, and brake lamps and turn signals during driving. If you use accessories (headlamps, dome light, fan, radio, etc.), you will use more battery power. Depending on how far you drive, and how much of a charge it gets, you may not be able to start it after work without a jump. If you have a battery charger, use it to get the batteries up to full charge before heading out. If not, allow the jump start vehicle to charge the batteries after you get it started (later glow cycle and starting will require more juice than you will get out of only a jump start).

stantjeeper85
04-29-2009, 22:22
The batteries will need charging. So, when you jump start it, let the other vehicle charge the batteries for 30 minutes, or so, before heading out. Very little juice is needed to keep running. Only the fuel solenoid is required to keep the engine running, and brake lamps and turn signals during driving. If you use accessories (headlamps, dome light, fan, radio, etc.), you will use more battery power. Depending on how far you drive, and how much of a charge it gets, you may not be able to start it after work without a jump. If you have a battery charger, use it to get the batteries up to full charge before heading out. If not, allow the jump start vehicle to charge the batteries after you get it started (later glow cycle and starting will require more juice than you will get out of only a jump start).

Would it be a good idea to let the jumper charge the dead battery for a while BEFORE jumping it off?

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2009, 23:04
Would it be a good idea to let the jumper charge the dead battery for a while BEFORE jumping it off?

Yes. And, you may have to, in any case. Much depends on how dead your batteries are, the capability of the jump vehicle, and the size/condition of the jumper cables. I suggest charging as long as possible before, and after. It really doesn't matter how much before or after, it's the total charge time that counts. Also, more pre-charge will allow easier starting, and less battery drain (there is a degree of efficiency). Either way, charge it as much as you can. Once you set out, you'll be at the mercy of the charge you did. If the voltage drops too much, the solenoid will lose sufficient power, and you'll be late for sure.

One thing you can do as an assurance, of sorts, is disconnect the driver side battery right before leaving (and take tools to reconnect it). If it's healthy, and got a good charge, it will likely be able to get you started again if you have a stall, or some other mishap. A backup, of sorts. One good battery is fully capable of starting a hot 6.2. If you have less than 10 miles to go, it's probably no big deal. If your commute is 50+ miles, use every advantage you can get your hands on. If you have a long city commute, consider placing the tranny in P for long traffic lights (brake lamps are thirsty).

stantjeeper85
04-30-2009, 09:20
Well, I made it to work on time, but not in my burb. Had to get a ride. So today Ill get the replacement belt and then put the burb on a trickle charge overnight. But let me ask you this, why is it that there are two batteries? And which one do I put the trickle charge on?

DmaxMaverick
04-30-2009, 09:46
Two batteries are required for the starting cycle. Glow plugs (intake heaters, in some cases), fuel heaters, greater rotational mass, greater bearing surface area, greater compression (all compared to gassers) add up to a greater need for starting power. A 6.2/6.5 will, under most conditions, start well with only one battery, when that battery is new, healthy, and fully charged. Batteries decline in ability relatively quickly after new, reducing its abilities. And, with only one battery, even under the best of conditions, additional conditions reduce the ability to start the engine. This includes unforeseen conditions, such as running out of fuel, and planned conditions like filter changes. These conditions require more battery power than one battery can normally provide.

When charging, it shouldn't matter which battery you connect the charger to. The batteries are connected in parallel, all the time (or should be, at least). If using a trickle charger, be sure the batteries are at or near a full charge. A trickle charger won't do much for a pair of high capacity batteries (such as you should have in your truck) overnight. It's always better to use a peak detection type charger (battery conditioner, taper charger, etc.), or use a timer at the correct amperage input (a little math may be required). While a trickle charger won't normally overcharge, higher amperage chargers will if charged too long, or too quickly. A 2 amp automotive trickle charger is fine for most automotive (car) batteries, but will do little, if anything, for a pair of 800-1000 CA batteries (sometimes as much as 6x the capacity, in comparison). A "trickle" in this case can range from 6 to 20 amps. Many times, it's better to charge at full (~40-60 amps) for the full duration (usually an hour or two after a deep discharge), than an overnight trickle. This especially true after an episode, or series, of deep discharge (like driving w/o an alternator belt). Automotive batteries are not designed for deep cycling (discharge), and may not recover at all on a trickle charge after a deep discharge episode.

In your case, I suggest (after your belt replacement) getting it started, and let the truck's alternator do the charging. It will charge it quickly, then maintain the charge level as needed, as you drive. The overnight trickle charge won't hurt, but it may not help, either. Keep your cables handy for the morning.

stantjeeper85
04-30-2009, 09:59
Well the big question is how do i get it started? Thats the reason why I couldnt drive it this morning is because the batteries were too dead to jump it off. Then again, my jumper was an older model civic jumping just one of the batteries. Would it work to have two trucks jump my burb off (one connected to each battery)? I understand the altenator will charge the system, i just gotta get it started first.

Edahall
04-30-2009, 11:20
Starting these engines require tremendous amounts of current. To get it started, I recommend charging up the batteries first. I don't even think two trucks jumping your Suburban will even be enough juice to turn her over unless you have some very big cables and you give it time to charge a bit.

stantjeeper85
04-30-2009, 11:57
Starting these engines require tremendous amounts of current. To get it started, I recommend charging up the batteries first. I don't even think two trucks jumping your Suburban will even be enough juice to turn her over unless you have some very big cables and you give it time to charge a bit.

If i replaced these batteries with two Optima deep cycle batteries, would that correct this situation and prevent it from happening again should the alt belt break again ?

christophersond
04-30-2009, 13:47
If i replaced these batteries with two Optima deep cycle batteries, would that correct this situation and prevent it from happening again should the alt belt break again ?
Deep cycle batteries are not designed for the high initial cranking amps required in an automotive application. Suggest you stick with automotive type batteries.:)

Edahall
04-30-2009, 15:21

To prevent this situation from happening again, you might consider carrying an extra belt or replacing them at a regular interval.

Be careful with replacing with deep cycle batteries. They usually don't put out as much starting current as with the regular batteries. Also, I don't think deep cycle batteries would have prevented this situation unless you were running batteries with degraded capacities. If you were running with headlights on while driving back, this would explain why your batteries were drained. The amperage it takes to run headlights is quite high and it doesn't take long to drain a battery.