PDA

View Full Version : truck won't start

bigandsmall
05-02-2009, 00:46
Hi i'm new to this site and hope to get some help. I resently aquired a 1998 chev 2500 4x4 with a 6.5L turbo diesel and it won't start. I have checked for codes with a generic code reading and all it has is a turbo code p0238 which i don't think has anything to do with the no start and may be an old code. I put more fuel in truck to make sure gauge was right and the fuel in the tank smelt good and that is was diesel, i have checked fuel pressure at injection pump, i have 8lbs with key on and 6lbs when cranking engine, i think this should be within spec, i have cracked injector lines and there is no fuel there at all, i removed the shut off solenoid from pump to check if it was working, and it is, i also manually energized it on the truck while cranking engine and no difference, i removed the inlet fitting and check the screen, it was clean and looked like lots of fuel in pump, fuel and air filter have both been changed. the pump on this truck was rebuilt about 2 years ago before i got it and previous ower said it just wouldn't start one day, so here i am trying to get it going. I'm wondering what my next step should be and or if the pump is bad again, I'm hoping for alittle help please and thankyou.

Warren96
05-02-2009, 17:42
I see you checked for pressure but did you check to see clear fuel, with no bubbles flowing from the filter drain valve located on the thermostat bolt?

JohnC
05-02-2009, 19:09
Check the "stalling" thread near the top of this forum.