PDA

View Full Version : Hummer H1 smoke problems

cesguz
10-24-2003, 02:57
Hi, I own a 2001 Hummer H1, it has 9k miles, a few weeks ago I got bad diesel and then I began having problems, When the H1 was cold, it surged and missed until it reached full operating temp, plus to this I was getting copious amounts of black smoke. I scanned it and I didn

TJ
10-24-2003, 06:30
Hi there,
I'd question your boost, first off. How are you checking it? Boost gauge hopefully. If you are getting black smoke upon acceleration, the fuel isn't being burned, most the time the result of boost. I have no idea to why bad fuel would cause that. Assuming you didn't install some high flow injectors and that your injection pump is working properly, I would shoot for that first.

Hummers do not have an EGR valve. You do not have the L56 engine, so don't worry about it.

Hope this helps
TJ

1998 GMC 6.5L Intercooled General Engine Products Powered Turbo Diesel

1985 Propane/Banks 6.5L

(Buddy's) 1994 Hummer H1

john8662
10-24-2003, 06:59
If you can't find the EGR valve, its because it doesn't have one. The 6.5 thats in the hummer is very similar to the one in the 3/4 to 1 ton trucks in that they don't have the emissions requirements of 1/2 trucks that could be egr equipped. As far as the smoke, did it smoke from new? Or is just a new problem?

cesguz
10-25-2003, 09:00
Thanks for your help, Injectors that I installed were the same brand and model that it had before, same thing with the fuel filter. If I already checked the Turbo Boost, injectors, and air filter, the only thing that is in my mind is the Fuel Injection Pump, By the way, I scanned it again and there is a new code, P0219, engine overspeed condition, what does it means?? I think this code may be related to the MAP sensor, what do you think about it??

black smoke is a new problem, this hummer used to smoke just a few when I applied full trhottle but now I

norm
10-25-2003, 16:30
My smoker was fixed with a new wastegate solenoid. Also the vac lines that this control uses must not leak. The faulty solenoid gave me a code, leaking vac lines probably won't. (Not sure if H1 uses same control)

cesguz
10-27-2003, 17:20
any other suggestion??

charliepeterson
10-28-2003, 20:32
Get hold of a scanner and look at the Injection Pump Timing. We run at or near -1.94 TDC timing. This is aggressive but it produces easier cold starts, extra diesel rattle and better performance. You do need to watch the extra heat in the exhaust though.
Try turning the timing back to stock -.25 to -.50 TDC and see if this helps.
What did this truck do with only 9K on the clock?

The other thing to clear up smoke is to open up the exhaust. Bigger is better. Straight pipe is best.