PDA

View Full Version : is 200,000 miles too many to turbo?

GregCrabb
05-02-2009, 21:00
Hey, I'm just curious, but you know what they say about curiosity....
My truck is just about to flip to 200,000 miles. It runs great, has 400 psi on all 8 cyls, replaced IP and injectors less than 20,000 miles ago...it's a great truck and I love it, I trust it and would drive it anywhere. So I'm debating...whether to move forward to the newer body style with 6.5 turbo or just stick a sidewinder on mine and keep it. I'd really like an extended cab for additional room inside. I know how much a Banks kit costs as well as the work involved. I'm kind of "addicted" to turbo power...comparing apples to oranges...my TDI volkswagen is awesome. I just really enjoy the way it feels. So I'd like to have a turbo on my truck too. Do I have too many miles to turbo charge my engine? The truck is paid for and it would probably be cheaper to turbo it and drive it til it quits, then rebuild/replace the engine and keep driving it. Decisions, decisions....any opinions, comments, or experiences appreciated.
thanks

GregCrabb
05-04-2009, 04:11
Maybe someone will reply now that it's Monday. I'm really curious. I'd love to just stick a turbo from a 6.5 in it but it won't fit with my A/C will it?

DmaxMaverick
05-04-2009, 09:25
I would (and have). It would be prudent to replace the head gaskets/bolts and freshen up the engine, otherwise. It's also a good idea to replace the original rear main seal (rope type) with a 2-piece, as it's typical to leak once you install the turbo. Easy job, relatively.

john8662
05-04-2009, 12:14
Honestly, I prefer the N/A 6.2 over a turbo 6.2, especially in a SWB. You're getting the best MPG N/A that you will get in the truck, the turbo will hurt MPG some. I'm not really impressed with the offerings turbo wise on the 6.2L. The Banks unit is more suited for towing, not really well mannered for in-town stop-n-go traffic, a little laggy, and causes a little smoke (which I don't care for). They're kinda expensive, but if you want one, I recommend a new one or piece one together. The best experience is new though.

ATS had the best turbo for our chassis, but it doesn't fit well in a 2WD 1/2-ton. This I know well, and HAD to remove it to go to Banks. I kinda wished I left my '86 alone and kept it N/A.

The engine really isn't going to be a problem at 200k (just the head gaskets), but I can put a guarantee that the transmission (even if it was rebuilt at some point) will not stand the turbo. It has to be beefed up, the TH700 is calibrated for a 6.2L N/A producing 145-155HP, it won't operate correctly in the 180-195HP range, it will slip from 1st to 2nd, and from 3rd to 4th, needs a servo upgrade and boost valve to be happy (have yet to do mine).

Yep.. The 6.5 Factory turbo setup will not work on a 6.2 well. A/C is a problem, injectors are a problem (too long, hit manifold), exhaust plumbing is a problem, etc.

GregCrabb
05-06-2009, 00:25
Hey thanks guys. Just scouting around. I've gotten bored and am looking for something else to do. As I said, I'd really like to have an extended cab newer body truck, but I know and trust my old friend. I've had it 7 years now and it starts and runs better now than when I first bought it.
On another note, I've been toying with sticking a Mercedes turbo 5 cylinder into an older S10...I've seen it done before and now I've found a company who makes the adapters for it. So many ideas, so little time.

Robyn
05-06-2009, 07:15
I would agree with Maverick
Replace the head gaskets and bolts and then have at it.

The Banks units are nice and work well.

You can use descretion when turning up the IP.
If you dont need a buttload of extra power then just stay right spot on with the Banks instructions.

I have driven a few 6.2's with the Banks unit and they were sweet IMHO

The Banks unit is nicer than the stock GM units of the 92-93 vintage.

If you do the turbo, get a transgo shift kit installed in the 700R. Just good insurance to keep the box together.

Have fun

Robyn

dealwithit
05-12-2009, 22:44
On another note, I've been toying with sticking a Mercedes turbo 5 cylinder into an older S10...I've seen it done before and now I've found a company who makes the adapters for it. So many ideas, so little time.

im actually in the process of dropping one into a 92 mazda b2600 2wd, i've got it mated up to the mazda 5speed tranny now too :D the build thread is in my sig ;)