PDA

View Full Version : tentioner pully

hrsedrvr
05-03-2009, 06:29
anyone had trouble with tentioner going bad? i've changed twice in the last year! not in the bearing but the spring end. is this a common problem or should i look for another problem?

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2009, 07:09
Spring breaking, or the assy? Either way, they shouldn't fail that quickly. But, luck is luck, and they can, with no rhyme or reason. How's it look with the engine idling? Does it bounce around a lot? If so, look for an accessory/pulley that isn't true or round. Otherwise, if operation is smooth and steady, I dunno. Maybe talk to the dealer/supplier you got it from and look into having it/them replaced under warranty (mfg defect).

My 2001 tensioner has never been steady. It bounces around 1/4"+ at idle, but smooths out some off idle, and seems completely smooth above about 1,000 RPM's. It's done this since new, and I nor the dealer could find a cause. I replaced the original at 100K (still have it as a spare, it's still functional). If one were to break, I'd expect it on mine, but it doesn't/didn't.

hrsedrvr
05-03-2009, 08:10
spring dos'nt break it just seems to wear and become floppy. the belt does flap a bit at idle though i'll have to check out everything else and i too carry the old ones with me just in case!
thanks, Doug

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2009, 08:58
Interesting. How much do have to take up (the belt) when the tensioner is new? If it's very little, it could be your belt is too long, and "normal" spring wear-in is too much for the belt length. If the tensioner is only failing due to a "weak" spring, how much of the throw is left at this point of failure? If it has quite a bit, I think I would look at using a shorter belt (1-2 cm can make a big difference). Perhaps that could keep the tensioner in the operational range???

What brand belt are you using? And, was it replaced with each new tensioner, or more often? Some of them are more prone to stretch, sooner and more than others. Perhaps a combination of too little tensioning by the tensioner, and a weak belt??

Heartbeat Hauler
05-03-2009, 15:31
I went through two tensioners in the first 10,000 miles. I now have about 55K on the truck and the tensioner is starting to squeal on start up. The first time it went out it took the dealer 5 weeks to get the part in from...where else.....Mexico. Probably because it is an '01 and the first model year.

JP

Duramaster
05-03-2009, 18:02
I'm guessingthat your truck is a 2001? The tensioner used on the 2001 fails frequently. 2002 and up are a different set up. If you remove the belt from the tensioner and then release the tensioner, you will notice that it will not go to it's full travel smoothly. It will feel kind of bound up. The only cure I know is to replace with a new tensioner. I really don't think it matters much as to using an OEM tensioner or an aftermarket tensioner (gates). Good luck with your tensioner. ;)

hrsedrvr
05-04-2009, 17:14
the one i just got is a gates(126.00) versus having to order at dealer for $217.00. i hope the gates does the job and yes it's a 2001
thanks to all