PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Relocation

Gapper_ca
10-24-2003, 07:31
Has any one relocated the oil filter on a 96 6.5 TD 4X4. i have read the info on the by-pass filtration but i am looking for a simple solution to moving the filter so that it is vertical and easy to change.

Randee of the Redwoods
10-24-2003, 14:33
I'm working on that now. I have bought all the parts necessary, but found that I'm missing one part. I bought the necessary parts to remove the 90degree adapter off the block. All the stuff came from Jeg's to the tune of about $120(it does come cheaper), but I found that I need another 13/16"x16 male pipe nipple. The oil filter adapter I bought comes with one, but I need another for the block adapter. If you remove the nipple from the factory 90degree adapter, it's a different size on each size. Go figure. I just haven't had the time lately to get back to working on it, but it will work.

kemde
10-25-2003, 19:03
I have installed dual remote oil filters on my 96 2500 4x4. I ended up mounting the oil line adapter to the stock 90 degree adapter initially because I was told that it contained a pressure relief safety valve in case the filter plugged.

As it turned out the front drive shaft is too close to install fittings. I ended up using high pressure hydraulic hoses with machine crimped on fittings and bolted the filter bracket onto the side of the battery tray.

MikeC
10-26-2003, 15:03
I put the Amsoil dual bypass setup on my Burban. Left the factory 90* adapter in place, with new O-rings. I just liked the routing of the lines better with the adapter in place. The filters ar physically located under the drivers floor.

Mike

LanduytG
10-26-2003, 16:01
If you end up using the 90* adapter besure to use new o-rings and them what I have done is use a little high temp rtv. You will never have a leaking o-ring again. When I redid my dual remote I took of the adapter and unscrewed the nipple from it and used it in the block. Now the nipple has 2 different threads. One being the 13/16 for the filter and I don't remember what the other end was. But that end goes in the block.

Greg