PDA

View Full Version : Front Shock Spacer

OhmEye
05-05-2009, 03:32
Newbie question here:

I have ordered a set of Bilstein HD shocks and have heard the word that it is desirable to install a spacer on the front shocks. Can someone give me the specs on this spacer and where to install? Can I make this up with a stack of SS washers?

Thanks for all your help!

chambie
05-08-2009, 11:48
I just put Bilsteins on my truck. Got the shocks and spacers from JK. The spacers go on the top of the shock between the rubbers. IDK if you could make it up with washers. Seems to me that would be kind of a pain.

OhmEye
05-08-2009, 12:03
How much space did they take up?

chambie
05-08-2009, 13:20
i would guess .5 in.

OhmEye
05-08-2009, 16:44
i would guess .5 in.

Well, that should be close enough. I'll look at mine when I get it apart. I've heard conflicting reports about whether I need it in my application so guess I'll have to decide once I see.

Thanks for the shout back, chambie!

OhmEye
05-13-2009, 12:09
DmaxMaverick and I swapped those shocks yesterday. We found that with the front end completely unloaded the Bilsteins were a little less than 1/2" short. In other words, if I ever caught air with this thing then the force of the front spring, weight of the tire/wheel, etc would be trying to stretch those shocks out a little past their free length.

This was an easy fix. Since the new shocks came with new washers to capture the rubber isolators we simply re-employed the original heavier washers and sandwiched the new washers in there to fill the gap. This gave us just enough threads up top to start the nut and by the time the nylon lock portion engaged the rubber was compressed perfectly. Saved a bunch on wrenching. Since the threads are just barely engaged I am going to drill the top of the shafts to take a cotter pin and make sure those nuts don't come off until I need them to.

TheJDMan
09-09-2009, 17:21
Since the threads are just barely engaged I am going to drill the top of the shafts to take a cotter pin and make sure those nuts don't come off until I need them to.

That is a great idea!!! I installed my bilsteins several months ago and have been worried about those nuts working off. I would take it one step further by installing slotted castle nuts to engage the cotter pin.

vernj4
10-26-2009, 22:30
This may be helpfull to some.

mjammer
05-31-2010, 10:36
I am mid-install on my front shocks (delayed by rain) and when I use the spacer, there isn't any threads to engage. Any ideas on how to compress it enough to start the nut?

Also, is there any issue with putting the spacer under the boot instead of above the boot?

mjammer
05-31-2010, 12:24
Never-mind, I got it. And for some reason, the spacer needs to go omn top of the boot vice under. If it is under, you lose ~1/4-3/8" of thread exposure. Oh well, done. Now for a test ride soon.

mattb5150
05-31-2010, 21:22
Thanks Vern J. finally a picture, just to be clear which year trucks does this apply to?

Matt

Kennedy
06-01-2010, 07:27
This is something we use on all 2001-present 2500 and 350 when using teh HD yellow Bilsteins.

I have not seen the revised front end of the new 2011's to know if this carries forward, but I would doubt it.

mattb5150
06-01-2010, 22:11
So Bilstein designed the yellow shocks incorrectly? What problems does this cause for the ride quality and/or shock life?

Matt

Kennedy
06-02-2010, 05:43
no, actually Bilstein designed the shocks to OE spec. The shock is the travel limiter in the OE system. The spacers take the strain off the lower bushings at full extension.