PDA

View Full Version : Burn It?

w6bauer
05-05-2009, 10:24
Just did a fluid and filter change on my 66 John Deere 4020 transmission and Hydraulic system about a month ago and two days ago the rear pto seal went as well as a leaky breakaway coupler that has begging for a rebuild.
Had to pull the whole rear pto cover off, which is at the bottom of the transmission/hydraulic fluid reservoir. Short of pressure steaming and at least an hour or two of meticulous cleaning of the bottom end of the tractor there was no way I was going to pour that fluid back into the tractor after I got the seals replaced, even though it was pretty much brand new.
Reservoir holds 10 US gallons at $60 bucks for a fiver I have $120 bucks worth of almost brand new John Deere type 303 Trans/Hydraulic fluid in a bucket in my garage. Looking around the garage and barn I was able to scrounge up a bunch of empty oil jugs and a gear lube pump. Filled all the jugs and poured the remaining back into one of the empty fivers through a paint filter.
Can I run a quart of this stuff through my fuel system every tank of diesel. Maybe more? Dont want to just throw it away. The stuff is pretty thin, thinner than two cycle oil. Any input is appreciated. Perhaps someone has done it?

Thanks

Will