PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Muffler Suggestions?

damork
02-05-2005, 23:25
I've been considering an exhaust upgrade to simply improve the flow and like JK's concept but am not interested in a straight through muffler - I don't want it any louder than it currently is.

Has anyone found a 3.5" baffled muffler that keeps the noise down? Flopro appears to be one company that makes something close.

DmaxMaverick
02-05-2005, 23:54
You might try a Duramax take-off. There are plenty around, with all the upgrades that have been done. You might get one for a song. It is a baffled muffler and tames the exhaust note pretty well, yet seems to flow good, for what it is. It may be very suited to your needs.

I'll be upgrading my Duramax exhaust soon, but the pipe is destined for the '95.

Billman
02-06-2005, 05:45
I went with a Walker Straight-Thru design. The exhaust noise is not too loud. Engine noise is a different story. Muffler diameter is about 9" X 40" so baffling is decent. Although my system is 4", they make a variety of sizes.

I think Straight-Thru is the key.

Kennedy
02-06-2005, 06:56
The Tahoe is so darn short. I'd have to get one in the air again to see if a 20" muffler will fit.

I did one once where the catalyst (ueser done of course ;) ) was used as a resonator (pdf drawing on my site) and the guy drove back toBoston like that and enjoyed it all the way...

damork
02-07-2005, 19:03
Thanks for the input.

I measured the stock muffler and the body is 24". The Duramax muffler sounds like a possibility - is it a 3.5" id? If they are short enough they might do the job.

I replaced the downpipe 4 years ago and retained the 4 bolt flange but would probably leave a stub pipe right behind the flange to attach the new pipe to. I want to open up to 3.5" as far upstream as possible.