PDA

View Full Version : A Painful Lesson--Literally

ZZ
01-25-2004, 00:53
I was changing the electric lift pump on my '90 GMC yesterday. I didn't pay close attention to where the fuel was running down the frame when I disconnected the fuel lines. I was laying 2 feet down from the pump and the fuel leaked from the frame into my left ear. I was at the hospital 6 hours later with a severe ear ache. The fuel had swollen the wax and it was really painful. What I'm trying to say is to be careful when working with fuel & etc.

I know this the wrong forum. I just wanted to pass this along.

[ 01-25-2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: ZZ ]

tanker
01-25-2004, 01:57
GMC, I had the same thing happen on a friends 55 Chevy many years ago :rolleyes: . He had a gasoline leak, which turned out to be a rubber gasline hose from frame to engine. The gasoline had a slow drip, and when I went looking for it on a creeper, it hit me between the eyes, which burned and I turned my head to the side to wipe my face, then a drip went in my ear :eek: . The next thing I remember I awoke in the emergency room of a hospital where my friends had taken me after passing out. They said it burned my inner ear badly and the pain made me pass out. That was leaded gasoline back then, don't know if unleaded, or Diesel is worse, but something I haven't forgot in over 40 years. Some simple jobs can turn into a disaster, if we don't take precautions.

a5150nut
01-25-2004, 09:27
Hey Tanker,
You probably remember the old carb dip in a bucket then. Got a mix of that and gas in my rigth eye and couldnt see out either one! That stuff was good, just a dropon your finger and you could instantly taste it.
And good old leaded gas. My dad retired off a servise truck on a disability pention for lead poisoning from using gas to wash parts. He was 55 then and they gave him 2 years to live. He just turned 88! :cool:

rjwest
01-25-2004, 13:51
Tried washing parts in this new gas, Skin came off
my fingers and my nails started to rot.. Maybe that lead ain't so bad afterall.