PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure at idle

tx dave
05-08-2009, 18:54
2 days after I got my truck home I found oil on the floor of my garage. I took it back to the dealer, thinking a valve cover gasket was leaking ( they'd been off twice) but after putting dye in the oil it showed the oil cooler adapter was the culprit. When all the parts ( o-ring and gaskets) came in I turned it in for repair. I went to pick it up today and they had broken the oil pressure sending unit so after a quick search around town they found a new one and install it. During the test drive the tech said the low oil pressure warning light came on. So I now have zero oil pressure at idle and about 40 psi when engine is reved. I was told maybe it was a clogged oil filter ( I use amsoil duel bypass filter (for 7 years now with no problems) Or maybe my oil pump quit. Or maybe this or maybe that BUT not one word about maybe we screwed up when we had the oil cooler off or maybe we're just to dumb to figure it out. NO NO it's got to be something that all of suddeen a 2001 DMAX with after 225K trouble free miles (except injectors and those bubble I just had the head gaskets changed for.) developed on its on. Apoligize for the long windedness but as you can probable tell I'm pretty pissed about the situation.:mad::mad: Does anyone know what could have caused this sudden drop in oil pressure at idle?

OhmEye
05-09-2009, 02:00
Just a quick stab at this, and I know you'll get some more experienced opinions, but is it possible that the pressure sending unit is faulty? This seems like an obvious suspect. . .

leolkfrm
05-09-2009, 05:35
maybe they installed the wrong one! I think i'd be looking for a better repair shop

mr. monte
05-09-2009, 14:58
I would verify the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge first...

Rabbler
05-09-2009, 18:45
+1 manually check the pressure!
Did they install an OEM or aftermarket sensor?

tx dave
05-10-2009, 03:21
UP DATE: I printed off the diagram for routing of the oil lines for my duel bypass, The tech had installed the lines backwards. I checked them yesterday and the service manager let me switch them ( techs day off) oil pressure was 40 psi cold and increased to about 75 psi with a little pedal. Everything normal again. I test drove it and the pressure after warming up was a little low at idle but with a new sending unit we expected that. paid the bill ( no labor on this one, parts only) :)Everything was good again I had my truck back. :mad: 10 miles from the dealer, at 60 mph, warning light, check oil pressure, 0.00 oil pressure, I pulled over, called the dealer, called a tow truck, and I'm back to square one again, NO truck. They are going to check everything again Monday. I'm thinking with the oil lines backward on the bypass it might of clogged a filter so the service manage said the first thing they'd do is put astock filter on it and see what happens. I just hope it didn't ruin my engine. I'd hate for GM to buy me a new engine :eek:.

tx dave
05-24-2009, 06:57
UPDATE: To this date my truck is still at the dealership. This makes 2 months with out my truck. everything has gone wrong that can go wrong. But after the latest with no Oil pressure. you guessed it a Cam bearing was spun. Right now they are swaping parts off my engine to put on a new (used 80K on it) engine. Maybe with this engine I will get my original power back. This has been a truly messy drama. I just have to let them fix it. OH yea, When I asked who was paying for all this, I was told , they would work with me ( like it is my fault they blew my engine up) I don't think so. Do I hear possible law suit some where in all this? We'll see and I will keep the updates coming till the end.:eek:

Shed
05-24-2009, 07:58
Dave, Sorry to hear about the problems you are having! I have had a few much more minor probs and I can only guess the feelings you are having. It does sound to me like there could be a lawsuit over this whole deal. long story short, I had a drunk girl hit me once and damage my truck. I expected an easy "she did it, she pays for it" deal and found that when money is involved these days all responsibility and morals go out the door. Whatever you do document everything. Have the mechanic or dealer write out anything and everything they did and ask for a copy. When I went to court the only thing that saved me was documentation. It also busted her out in the middle of a lie which helped me big time. BTW, have you checked the history of the "replacement" engine? Did you ok this engine? Just want to make sure they don't get it in and next thing you know there are injector issues or head gaskets or who knows what else. Good luck to you in this, I really hope it turns out well. Shed

Rabbler
05-24-2009, 18:37
Who's idea was it to put in the used engine?
Does your truck have any powertrain warranty on it?
Which cam bearing spun? The turbo oil feed if off the cam and it is possible if the right bearing spun the turbo was starved of oil too.

Sorry to hear of your troubles...

tx dave
05-25-2009, 04:31
My truck has 225K. After looking at the hours required to replace the cam bearing, plus machine shop time, the dealership found the engine With 80K, a one year warranty (parts and labor). After my loss of power with the headgasket job, I think the SM just wants to get my truck rightagain, no matter what he has to do, or what it cost. I've told him, I didn't sign a blank check for all this work. The bottom line is I use my truck in my business and I need it back. 2 months with out it is a loong time.

jerry598
05-25-2009, 09:22
Be sure to keep a detailed diary (dates, times, who you talked with, and promises made) of every contact you have had with the dealership or GM. It will serve as prima facie evidence in court, if you have to go there. If you don't have a diary with all the details, it will just be your word as a non-professional - against theirs - and they would win.