PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 blocks

Robyn
05-12-2009, 08:02
Just cruising at ebay and found this 370101808099 item number

New "aftermarket" blocks being sold by Clearwater.

If these blocls are as good as the heads they sell this could be a real plus for us 6.5 owners with broken parts.

3 year unlimited mileage warranty too.

I have seen one of these locally and they look great. The machine work was beautiful.

Would love to have one, unfortunately the $$$$ are not in the pocket at this time to do such a deal.

Get a new CCH Block, heads and a scat crank about $2200 and use the rods and other stuff from an original GM engine and have a new engine basically for a fair price.

Just a thought.

Robyn

trbankii
05-12-2009, 13:05
I think you had said once before about their heads, but I'm assuming these are import castings?

Considering the time and money spent to tear down and rebuild one of these little buggers, the price doesn't seem terribly unreasonable - or considering some of the prices I'm seeing the Duramax folks quoting about for GM work on their little beasties.

Of course, hard to say what the freight costs would be to send a block cross country...

jerry598
05-12-2009, 14:31
I like the idea, but for a self-taught mechanic like me what would I be running into with my 95 6.5 at 124k miles? What is a scat crank? I assume all the crank and rod bearings would need to be brand new, and the piston rings too, timing chain and sprockets, etc. Since I am not a machinist, what machining would need to be done on a job like that? Would the engine have to be put together and tested before it is installed in the truck? For somebody like me, should I take the block, heads, crank, pistons, etc. to a reputable shop and have them put the parts together? I've only done rings and bearings on an engine once in my life, way back in 1969 and that was on a 324 cid Oldsmobile v8 after I drove it to Alaska and back. After the rebuild, it threw a rod out the side of the block after 700 miles. So I joined the Army.

By the way, Clearwater told me their heads are made in New Zealand. I would hope the block comes from there too, and not China.

Robyn
05-12-2009, 15:48
Block Should be ready to go
Scat is an outfit that sells cranks for performance engines.

They sell a cast steel crank for the 6.5

great crank for a fair price. Not as good as forged but still good.

Bearings and such would be needed but they are available reasonable of ya watch ebay.

I bought a complete set of rods and mains for my build for $50
These are Mahle brand and not some off beat stuff.

I wont swear about the origins of their castings. I would bet they are coming from one of the new foundaries in China though.

The castings are supposed to be shipped her and the machining done here.

Can't prove it but the stuff I have seen looks great.

The blocks are guaranteed for 3 years unlimited mielage.
I believe the heads are the same gaurantee.

RC