PDA

View Full Version : Engine Quits 2 times

Locomoko
05-12-2009, 18:34
Hello all, yesterday on the way home from work the burb (98) just shut down... I searched TDP for similar problems but I am not getting much.

To bring alla ya'all up to date, recently (1000 miles ago) put in a take out engine and then rebuilt my tranny, after a hitch or two everything was comming up daisy's and this great little truck was back at it, daily commute. Then yesterday it had a hiccup. :eek: It happened in cruise, 40 mph steady, then drop out, no rpm. Put in Neutral, started it up and into drive, fine for a mile then drop out. I pulled over and after realizing I would have to tow the beast home I elected to start it up again and chance it. I made it home. I put a reader on it and it hasn't thrown any codes.

This morning I went to work in it as usual, no problems. Are there ideas where to look, threads? Thanks again for all the support. I love my truck.

Aloha

Robyn
05-12-2009, 21:03
A very classic PMD failure is what it sounds like.

Be sure the fuel filter is in good order though (JUST BECAUSE)

Likely need a remote mounted PMD and an extension cable.

If you are not familiar the PMD is the little black box on the LH side of the Injection pump.

Get a new "DTECH" PMD a remote mount and a extension cable long enough to get the little beast out of the Hot Area.

Grill area is fine. Put the electrical plug towards the bottom so no water gets in.

A PMD failure rarely sets a code.

The PMD will start off as the on and off failure and then leave you stranded.

A spare in the glove box is a good idea.
Get a #5 resistor for the new PMD as you likely will not be able to get the old one from the PMD on the IP.

Leave the dead one where its at.

The cable can be unhooked and fished out from the Old PMD fairly easy.

Keep us posted

Robyn

Burning Oil
05-13-2009, 07:12
If I can be of assistance let me know.
FYI: I offer the Dtech and have an optional 7 year warranty now with a kit.

Locomoko
05-14-2009, 18:31
Thanks Robin,

I do have the remote cable/heat sink & PMD but it was located above the Drivers side wheel well. I moved it last night to the front grill area as suggested. In addition I have ordered a Dtech PMD as well as a new (just because) lift pump.

Take care and thanks again. :D

esbcapri
05-14-2009, 20:25
I have a 97 6.5 suburban that is doing the same thing. Sometimes I will let it run for a few minutes at idle and it will shut off like you turned off the key. Latley its been doing it going down the road. It always starts back, but I think its going to leave me somewere. Have you found anything out on yours yet? Mine has a newer PCM remote mounted with a cooling fan and shroud. Doesn't meen its not going bad, but I know its not getting hot anyway. Let me know if you get it fixed.

Locomoko
05-27-2009, 18:05
Installed new PMD, end of this problem, I love my burb. :D