PDA

View Full Version : Injectors going south?

lmholmes11
05-12-2009, 21:31
Today I noticed while putting the "pedal to the metal" there was some black smoke (not white) coming out. However there is no smoke at idle or normal acceleration. Is this normal diesel operation? Just curious. Thank you!

DmaxMaverick
05-12-2009, 21:53
Not injectors, usually. Sounds more like time for an air filter, or something else (wastegate, turbo). Black smoke means too little O2 for the fuel being burned. By the time injectors are overfueling, you will have a lot of smoke at idle, but rarely a noticeable amount under load, on a Duramax.

lmholmes11
05-12-2009, 22:55
Ok, I didnt think it was the injectors because no white smoke, but I just had to confirm. Is replacing the wastegate a big project? I've never done it before.

DmaxMaverick
05-12-2009, 23:07
Replacing the wastegate isn't a walk in the park. It's part of the turbo. The wastegate actuator, on the other hand, isn't too bad. However, it/they may not be the issue. Look first for a restriction in the air intake. Also, check for free movement and full closure of the wastegate. If, by some chance, the wastegate or turbo has failed, look for other (more serious) underlying reasons. They usually don't just fail without some help.