PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to remove an oil pump pickup tube?

Rob4
05-14-2009, 18:27
I am in the process of swaping engine parts over to a Military engine. The oil pickup tube on the military engine oil pump is longer than on a civilian engine. I need to swap the pan as the military pan is too deep and won't clear the front suspension. I have tried without much sucess to remove the pickup tubes. Before I get really physical, are these tubes suppose to come out or should I just buy another pump with the shorter pickup tube already installed? Thanks in advance for any input.

simon
05-14-2009, 21:08
the tubes are press fit,you should be able to tap them out with hammer and screw driver.
I would inspect both pumps first for wear before swapping them out. you might decide to buy a new one. (peace of mind)

MaxPF
05-15-2009, 03:20
The aftermarket pump I got for my 6.2/6.5 project had the pickup tube brazed to the pump body. That may be the case for yours as well.

FWIW, I only paid $50 or so for a brand new Melling pump with the proper pickup already installed...

Robyn
05-15-2009, 06:29
The tubes are indeed pressed in and some are brazed in.

I would strongly discourage reusing a pickup tube after removing it.

The press fit squishes the tube and once removed they wont hold well and could fall out. "Game over"

The only acception would be to take the pump completely apart and clean well and then install the pickup and braze it into the housing.

I have done this on Rat motors back in the boat race days to keep them from getting shook out from hard pounding (Yes I have seen it happen)

Either a good used pump that is clean and in good shape or a new one with the tube installed is what I would recommend.

Best

Robyn