PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge sender: 2 pin, but 1 pin plug. Can I make it work?

v8volvo
05-14-2009, 19:57
I have a 1994 GMC Vandura with the 6.5L diesel (non-turbo I know, but same basic engine as the TD). The temp gauge was giving crazy readings and I traced it to the sender, mounted in the left cylinder head towards the front. Went to NAPA and got a new one, and being stupid I just popped it in without really looking at it too close. Well, turns out the one I put in is a 2-pin sender, but the one that came out had only 1. The plug won't go on the new sender of course.

Replacing the sender was a b!tch of a job, due to you can't get at it from above so you have to do it all lying on the ground underneath..... and when the coolant dumps out of that hole where the sender goes it all pisses straight down on your face. Real unpleasant experience that I would not like to repeat if possible. Not to mention which I cannot return it now that it's been installed, and it cost $30. Therefore I am wondering if there is any way I can make this 2-prong sensor work? I can probably hack up the plug enough to make the wire attach on to either of the pins, but I just don't know if they will give the right ohm reading for the gauge. Presumably one of the pins is ground, whereas the old sensor just grounded to the engine I guess?

If anyone has any ideas about how to get this thing rigged up I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

simon
05-14-2009, 21:01
The 2 pin sensor goes on the water cross over,strictly for the ECM.
wont work as temp sensor for the gauge.
you'll need to get a 1 pin for the head location.

v8volvo
05-15-2009, 08:07
Grrr... sounds like I'm up a creek. Thanks for the help.