PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Removal Question

Steelkilt
05-15-2009, 19:15
What is the best way to remove the four nuts holding the turbo to the exhaust manifold. I have everything out of the way, airbox, coolant overflow, even exhaust down pipe, but access still seems very limited. nuts have been on for 11 years and 165,000 miles. what is the correct approach here? what is the best tool to use. i have sprayed nuts thoroughly with aerokroil, but before applying a lot of force i want to make sure i am using the best possible approach here and correct tools. getting to the nuts from the limited space underneath is challenging me. advice from folks who have done this would be appreciated. was hoping to replace injectors. thanks.

simon
05-15-2009, 21:33
the 2 out side nuts can best be accessed with socket and extension(may need a u-joint as well) by removing the wheel and rubber inner fender flap.
for the 2 inside nuts a boxend wrench with a lever (prybar or such)applied trough the open end and using a head bolt or exh manifold as the fulcrum and some patience will do the trick there.
dont forget the 2 10 mm bolts on the oil drain tube.

ronniejoe
05-15-2009, 21:36
I'm with Simon, except I get the two inside nuts through the wheel well with an extension and flex socket as well. It's the best way I've found to do it -- and I've tried many ways.;)

Steelkilt
05-16-2009, 05:02
thanks! coming up from underneath... that's brilliant! i hadn't thought to pull the wheel. now i see that's probably the only way to get to it.

jasondmann
05-16-2009, 11:14
I've had success with the closed end of a combination wrench. The inside ones were too tight to turn, I put a stubby combination wrench on so that I had room to double wrench it with a larger wrench. Try heating the studs up and melting some candle wax on them, it has always worked good for me on stuck nuts.

Wing Nut OOA
05-18-2009, 08:32
dont mess around with anything other than a 6 sided box end wrench.

get the ones you can with a ratchet but the inside rear you'll most likely end up rounding off without this wrench.

its a bad place to have a rounded off nut!

and make sure you anti-sieze before re assembly.

Warren96
05-18-2009, 13:47
I think a lot of us missed the point of taking the turbo off. you said you wanted to replace the injectors. They can be changed with the turbo ON THE ENGINE. I did mine on the engine. It seems to me i had to shorten the removal socket to get it to fit.