PDA

View Full Version : helm manuals

James Schaack
12-02-2003, 19:33
hey guys,

i see many people recommending the helm service manuals because they are made by GM and are supposed to be a great reference. well, i would love to just buy them but being a poor college student i need to justify the purchase. i am most interested in having a manual that covers the 6.5TD in great detail. how much does the helm manual focus on the 6.5? i noticed you had to buy the manual set (4 books at $120) is there anywhere you can get just selected books?? could somebody give me the ISBN numbers off their books so i can try to find some used copies on amazon.com

one last thing, are these manuals year specific or do they cover a range of vehicle years??

thanks for the help! tongue.gif

james

Turbine Doc
12-02-2003, 20:23
My set is all GMC/Chevy for 98 bumper to bumper trucks vans etc gasser & Diesel, for a 93 maybe you could ebay a used but good set off of somebody

Scooby
12-03-2003, 04:06
I just got a set of Helm books for my '96 1500. They were 120.00. It is just 2 books that year. You will spend much more to take your truck to the dealer when something happens, and will be ticked off when it is a simple fix that having a GOOD set of manuals would have enabled you to find and fix. If you are at all mechanically inclined, I'd bite the bullet and buy the books, if you are planning on keeping and upkeeping your truck.

Uncle Wally
12-03-2003, 09:02
For 1994 Model Year - there are 4 helm manuals.

One (about 4 inches thick) - for ECM/electrical stuff

One (about 3 inches thick) - for mechanical stuff

One (about 2 inches thick) - for rebuilding engines/trans/t-case

One (about 1/2 thick) - Diesel suppliment

If your going to own one of these trucks - I highly recommend having all of them. There is tons of important info in all of them.

The one that has helped me out the most is the ECM/electrical book. But it takes a while to figure out how GM works their electrical schematics. Once you figure that out, you should be able to fix/diagnose anything on these trucks (with exception to some of the wierd quirks the GM can throw ya).

The next thing on the list would be a membership here. Along with a few of the books offered here.

Your 93 does not require a scanner for a large majority of the repairs you will need to perform. My 94 needs the scanner for IP diagnostics - but your 93 has the mechanical IP - so you should on easy street. In fact, I can't think of any reason to bring a mechanical IP truck to the dealer. (I'm wishing I had a 92-93 now!)

Waldo

James Schaack
12-03-2003, 12:26
thanks for the input guys, i think i'm going to do as scooby said, "bite the bullet" and buy the manuals. i just wanted to make sure they had everything i was looking for. i'm sure they will be a great addition to my TDP membership and R&R guide.

thanks again,

james