PDA

View Full Version : Sizing fuel filter?

JFerg65
05-25-2009, 16:52
I have read most of the threads regarding going to an aftermarket set up. Here is my question. Is there any benefit or detriment in going to a higher per gallon hour flow rate? Or, Should it be sized close the requirements of the engine?

Robyn
05-25-2009, 17:57
As long as you dont choke the system with too small a filter your set.

I use the Racor 230R2 filter. It will flow about 45 gallons an hour.

The 6.5 flows a lot of fuel though to keep the IP cool as well as the back flow from the injectors (Small)

Too large of a filter will only encumber you with the space it requires to fit in the engine bay.

Keep the filter at a 2 micron filtering media.

The stock ones are 5 mic and this is a tad too loose (lets too much crap through)

Hope this helps

Robyn

JFerg65
05-25-2009, 18:18
Thanks. Saw a mombo sized racor on EBAY, going for a great price, but I would have had to mount it on the roof rack to get it to fit!

Robin, you had indicated in a previous response to my fuel leak dilemma that the line going from the fuel filter to the injection pump was a preformed line. Will an off the shelf piece of 3/8 with some clamps work on the injector pump end?

Any advice is much appreciated.

midniteplowboyy
05-25-2009, 19:50
Thanks. Saw a mombo sized racor on EBAY, going for a great price, but I would have had to mount it on the roof rack to get it to fit!

Robin, you had indicated in a previous response to my fuel leak dilemma that the line going from the fuel filter to the injection pump was a preformed line. Will an off the shelf piece of 3/8 with some clamps work on the injector pump end?

Any advice is much appreciated.

IIRC, the line from filter to IP is 1/4" line. Just get some off the shelf diesel rated line and leave enough slack at the IP so it doesn't kink.

SmithvilleD
05-26-2009, 19:29
I mounted a Racor w/ the 90 gph filter element on my longbed pickup to the bed's front sheetmetal U-channel crossmember. It tucks up nicely yet allows good access for checking the translucent fuel bowl for water/debris & filter changes.

Are there any panels on the Suburban open to the bottom?

The original fuel line from the OEM filter mgr to the IP was preformed as you mention. The tightest bend is the 180 from the top of the IP. I upsized this fuel line to 3/8" (-06) as in the FTB mod threads. Would up spending the $ for a 180 degree hose end as I couldn't figure a way to route the hose neatly without making the bends too sharp.

I can't recall if the original filter mgr to IP line was 1/4" or 5/16"? The fuel return to the tank is 5/16".

midniteplowboyy
05-27-2009, 21:53
I mounted a Racor w/ the 90 gph filter element on my longbed pickup to the bed's front sheetmetal U-channel crossmember. It tucks up nicely yet allows good access for checking the translucent fuel bowl for water/debris & filter changes.

Are there any panels on the Suburban open to the bottom?

The original fuel line from the OEM filter mgr to the IP was preformed as you mention. The tightest bend is the 180 from the top of the IP. I upsized this fuel line to 3/8" (-06) as in the FTB mod threads. Would up spending the $ for a 180 degree hose end as I couldn't figure a way to route the hose neatly without making the bends too sharp.

I can't recall if the original filter mgr to IP line was 1/4" or 5/16"? The fuel return to the tank is 5/16".

Correct, return is 5/16". Fuel filter inlet is 3/8", drain is 1/4", outlet is 1/4". IP inlet/outlet is 1/4". These are stock sizes.