PDA

View Full Version : Front End squeek - hubs needed replacing

Spoolmak
05-29-2009, 23:12
So I've had this annoying squeek in the front end when turning after start up. While stationary I could turn the wheel lock to lock with no sound, but when moving, the squeek was bad on turns for the first one or two minutes. After that, nothing.
I put her up on the hydraulic jacks to do a lube and was shocked!!! at the play in the hubs. Driver's side was really, really bad, passenger side not so bad - but both were toast. I have 121,000 km on her.

An interesting sidelight here was two days ago as I was in the parking lot of the hardware store in Point Roberts, another K2500HD drove in with the same squeel when he turned. I spoke to the driver "Hey buddy, you got the same squeel I do." He responded by saying that he'd had it for a while, but that it was nothing more than some grease and lube needed on the front end, and that there was nothing 'structural' wrong with our trucks.

We were both wrong. I replaced both hubs this morning. The squeel is gone and the front end and steering feels good and tight. In addition to the squeel I had noticed that she wasn't tracking as solid as she used to. I attributed that to the softer side walled Michelin summers I just put on......

Anyways, the point I'm making is that if you have a squeel while moving and turning for the first few minutes after start up - Check your hubs!!!!

Tor

jbplock
05-30-2009, 06:06
So I've had this annoying squeek in the front end when turning after start up. ... replaced both hubs this morning. The squeel is gone ..

Anyways, the point I'm making is that if you have a squeel while moving and turning for the first few minutes after start up - Check your hubs!!!!

Tor
Agree!http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/images/icons/icon14.gif .. I had the same symptoms before I replaced my hubs except they were tight when checking them on jack stands .. even with all four wheels turning in 4WD on stands .. they would only squeak with weight on ...

madmatt
06-02-2009, 18:42
Put two hubs on a 05 today for this.