PDA

View Full Version : 95 IP Timing

6.5 Detroit Diesel
05-30-2009, 10:12
So, the 95 has a basically brand new pump from SSD. Only thing is, it never arrived with timing marks that Walt had apparently told my Dad it would have. The truck has needed to be plugged in for the morning, or it wouldn't start. Even in our recent hot weather, it still won't start on it's own. Batteries are good, starter is good, connections are good, LP is brand new. So I am thinking that the actual IP will have to be shifted. The only question is, which way. I am thinking that the fuel is getting injected to late, but I could be wrong. I have never done work with a DS4 before, and was planning to have the truck ready for my employees to use by Monday. :confused:

Duramaster
05-30-2009, 10:17
This 1995 6.5 diesel is in a pickup and is a 6.5 Turbo Diesel with an EFI pump, correct? If so, you need a GM Tech1 to actually perform the timing procedure. Good luck with that.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
05-30-2009, 12:27
Yes, it's a 95 with a new DS4 in it. Apparently my Dad took it in to the stealership and they performed the timing procedure.

So does it matter where the IP is for the timing then? If it's all electronically controlled, I don't understand why Walt would say that the pump had to be turned a certain amount to the right or left when installed. :confused:

Unless there is something else that is the problem here. When it's warmed up, it restarts fine. It's just that when being started cold, it needs assistance. It idles really nice and the engine winds up and down really nicely. Trying to think if there is something else at work here.

Duramaster
05-30-2009, 23:01
Once the timing is set using the GM Tech1, the timing is set. If you move it with out using the Tech1 you won't know what the timing is at. In other words, once the timing is set using the Tech1, leave the pump alone. As far as the hard start cold goes, have you tested the glow plugs? Does the fuel lift pump work? Is the cranking RPM's sufficient to start the engine? How cold is it up there where you live right now?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
05-31-2009, 10:11
Ok, so I am going to have to say then that the timing must be right. The dealership says that the proper timing procedure was done.

Glow plugs are new from SSD, but I will check them.

I hot wired the lift pump to ensure that it was running.

Lately it's been over 30C up here. So plenty warm. On my 93, the glow plugs will flick on for a second, and then I can start the truck.

rameye
06-02-2009, 14:57
And you know the dealer did the set-up correctly ...how? ....Cause they said so.

My dealer didnt really know how to handle mine. Found a local guy with a tech 1 before I bought my own. Also apparently for some reason if another type of device other than than a tech 1 it might (not always) in some cases be inaccurate.

The tech 1 is not all that intuitive when it comes to a new set-up. That being the case unless the technician was well versed in the scanner be could be wrong.

I'm not saying it definitely is, however after all of the other possible causes are ruled out, should the problem still exist, it might be worth re-examining.

The Tech 1 OBD1 tool fell out of favor in 96 or so when the Tech 2 came out which handles OBD 1 and 2.

I beleive that on this board individuals sell software which transforms your laptop in to a viable and accurate OBD 1 scanner.....I would look into this.

good luck

rameye
06-02-2009, 15:00
I also purchased a set of glows from a reputable dealer (not ebay) where 6 out of 8 plugs were DOA after 3 thousand miles. Naturally I never bothered to check the plugs until I ran out of options....the were new! they couldnt be bad........NOT!

Robyn
06-02-2009, 17:34
If your Ip is off that far the ses light will come on as soon as the thing reaches operating temp

Code 88 IIRC

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-05-2009, 07:39
Robyn, I've ran it up to operating a few times. No SES light.
plugs?